Sign in to follow this  
MFD_Firefighter661

Fishing in North Virginia

I am going to be flying out to see my kids next week and was really hoping to be able to go fishing with them when I get there.  I will be staying somewhere around the Lorton Va area and am looking for a good place to fish.  I looked online and found a place called Lake Burke Park.  But their website didn't say anything about if they had bass in the lake.  Also they do rent small jon boats for a decent price so that really got me interested in this place too.  Can anyone shine some more light on this area for me or if they know a better place to go fishing in the area.  I have never been to virginia before and any help at all will be greatly appreciated.  Also if there is no bass what is the most abundant to fish for and if you have any tackle or lure suggestions that would be great.   ;)

Burke Lake is a nice lake but it sees a lot of pressure.  In other words it is fished by a lot of people all the time, the bass have most likely seen every lure made.  It is a tough lake to fish but it is a nice place to take the kids out on the water.  You will probably have better luck catching bass at either Fountainhead Regional Park or Lake Ridge Regional Park , they both offer jon boat rentals as well.   Check out the links below.

http://www.pwcparks.org/Recreation/LakeRidgePark/Marina/tabid/159/Default.aspx

http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/fountainhead/

I saw a 7-8 lb LM caught off the fishing pier last August and a 5 lber that same morning.  Both were caught on live bait though.  

Next week, April 5th, will be the season opener of the park, so it might be pretty crowded.  Good luck!

If you're taking your kids fishing, skip the bass and stick with panfish... Most kids especially the younger ones don't care what they are catching, just as long as there is something on the end of their line on a regular basis... Burke Lake, Fountainhead or Lake Ridge are all good options... Keep it simple for the kids... Buy some nightcrawlers and fish for bluegills or if you really gotta catch bass, buy some shiners and fish them. Best of luck!