Sign in to follow this  
rondef

Lake Anna Monday March 31st

My son and I are going to fish Lake Anna tomorrow, we are launching at Dukes Creek Marina. Any advice from members who fish this lake and consistanly catch fish would be appreciated. I figure we will be fishing the mouths of the creeks as the water temperature is in the low 50s (52 right now). The reports indicate that there are big bass to be had is we fishing crankbaits, jerkbaits and rigged plastics and that we should be looking to find the bass in about 12 feet of water. Does all this sound correct? Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Ron

Well let me give you some advice. It's harder to fish a difficult lake under less than ideal weather conditions.

I haven't been to the lake in a while but wow was the water clear, I'm talking 6-7 feet visibility in some area as I could see my DT's running when I cranked them all the way down (almost). Anyway it was drizzle and about 42-44 degrees all day.

Made it difficult to do any running around finding spots so we stuck to Duke's Creek, the islands, points, secondary points, boat docks, drop offs, flats, ledges, etc... we must of hit every "type" of structure we could find. The fish according to reports HAVE BEEN in 5-15 feet of water (at least being caught in). We only saw a little bit of feeding going on, mostly bait fish, but two to three fish jump all day.

I lost one fish on a jig bite 3/8oz Booyah craw colored jig with a yum papi trailer by a stick pile between a point and island where the channel ran through. Tossed it by the brush and had it tug two-three times, when I went to set the hook it was gone, probably spit the jig on the third time.

Had one other small bite on a senko but it was probably one of those blue gill on steroids (they tend to bite senkos at Anna). As my dad and I headed back to the launch we started flipping boat docks back down the shoreline. I ended up rigging up a two tone green laminate senko, texas rigged with a 1/8oz bullet sinker. Tossed it outside of a boat dock by some pilings (probably used for dock lines) and let it sink. 4-5 seconds later I got the signature tap tap tap and reeled in the slack and set the hook. The fight was on... needless to say when the fight was over "One fish Anna" had been defeated... but it's signature saying would remain the same... went for 3lbs 8ozs. My new pb (after having just had set a new benchmark at 3lbs two weeks ago).

Here's the pic:

Tough conditions, but the day was worth it for this one. Just wish we would have figured them out earlier in the day. My advice, horizontal presentations aren't working so weel right now down there, cranks (deep, shallow), rat l traps, spinners, etc. I would have thrown a senko, drop shot, or jig all day had I known the bite was going to be so finnicky and the bass weren't gonna give chase.

I think as clear as this water is and as tough as the conditions were with the weather (extremely cloudy and gray), the fish had moved out and were suspended and scattered as could be as we never put together anything solid with the depth finder. Maybe it will get back to normal over the next week but I'd give the post front some time before heading back out...

I wanna say thanks to my dad for taking me out even though the weather didn't cooperate, and even more so because he gave me one of his old Abu Garcia Cardinal reels after my Shimano Sonora had crapped out on me. This thing ran sweet with the Suffix High Performance Braid I put on (20lb). I set the drag perfect for the applications (after having fought the fish and realizing). The sensitivity, casting smoothness, handling, etc is unbelievable. Thanks a lot dad! Looks like I found the perfect reel for my jig pole.

post-9676-130162940544_thumb.jpg

Nice Job again Jason! Getting closer and closer to that 4lb mark. 7lbs by the end of the season?

How was the rest of your fishing that weekend? Simon and I got blown around like kites when we tried to kayak at Royal.

Haha, did you have fun though?  I ended up catching six at Germantown Lake (next thread down) but all of them were small.  No keepers.  It's a nice lake, lot's of private property all around it, but it is public and has a launch ramp.  Yea the wind was wicked by the dam on this lake too, I had my hoodie pulled tight with only my glasses and nose showing lol.  Looked dumb most of the time but was trying to keep warm.

Did you guys try both ends of the lake at Royal?  Find any productive water?

We had fun even though we looked dumb out there. we ended up just putting the kayaks away and fishing the dam. On our way back to the car the bite started to turn on. Pity we had to leave (I'm whipped) cuz we I feel like we found the fish. Simon landed one close to 3 pounds, one that looked a like it was a pound to a pound and half, and a dink. I caught a dink. This was all in the last 20 minutes or so.

I lost my Megabass crank for a bit (got it stuck on the drain thingie) and Simon lost his luckycraft so we were pretty bitter. I was able to rescue my crank by snaggin it with a jig, and that's when we started catchin fish! I'll probably try and fish some more this weekend.

Once again congrats on the new PB, you deserved it after what we went through on this trip.  Hopefully I will catch something on this lake next time out.