Sign in to follow this  
basslovr

Lake Thonotosassa

Anybody know anything about this lake?  :-?

There aint no fish in it.

Or at least not that I can find.  I have tried that lake, mostly because it's ten min from the house, 10 times over the last year and just can't get bit.  I'm told the the south end just west of Baker Creek in the cypress trees is good and the reeds/grass lines south of the beach is good, but I can't prove it.  I think the realigned Baker creek channel (old Hendry ranch/ new bajillion dollar homes) should produce, but again I can't prove it.  Maybe I just suck at fishing that lake, maybe I will try again next week.

It is a shallow bowl, lots of boat docks on the north half of the lake.  It has cat tails and kissimmee grass for vegetation.  I have not seen any hydrilla, which would account for the water clarity.  the lake is a watershed for I-4, fed by the north running Baker Creek with the outfall structure on the north end of the lake.  About 8 years ago, land on the east side was donated to SWFMD by the Hendry family (ranch that used to take up the entire east side of the lake).  Baker creek was realigned and forced thru a manmade wetland to increase the water quality in the lake.  So far it seems to be working, however I would not swim in it.  The lake can be accessed two ways.  On Thonotosassa Rd east of Taylor Rd their is a private pay to launch ramp.  $5 to launch but don't waste your money.  Further east on the South end of the lake is Baker Creek Park.  A county ramp with parking for about 20 rigs.  It is on the old Baker creek and a shallow, no wake canal get you to the lake.  It is kinda small but I get my 21 Stratos in thru there.

Lee

Thanks for sharing FishDaddy.....Say, in my other post for Lake June you mentioned a place called John's Lake......care to shed some light on that body of water? :)