Sign in to follow this  
catspit

Huntsman tips for a newbie to the area

Hi everyone,

British expat here used to do a lot of carp fishing back home and have just begun learning the art of bass fishing for the first time around the Fairfax area. It's very different but I can see how it gets addictive!

Tomorrow (Sunday) morning I am going to give lake Huntsman a shot so would appreciate any tips you have. I was thinking of running two rods, one with a #3 mepps and the other with a t-rigged worm of some description. I do have some spinnerbaits / chatterbaits and similar but honestly I have no idea how to use those buggers or if I'm even in the right part of the world to make them productive..

I don't have a boat and was thinking of parking up somewhere on Golden Ball Tavern Ct just after you get off Huntsman Blvd as there look like a couple of interesting points there. . Or is the action at the other end by the Dam?

It looks like it's not going to be the warmest morning but I'm looking forward to trying some new waters. Maybe I'll see a few of you there. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

/Andy

Andy,

I usually go down Huntsman Blvd and take the first right after the lake. You will have many places to park on that side of the lake and you can work that whole side. There is a problem though, it looks like they have drawn down the lake (lowered the water), it is extremely low right now. I wish you luck on your fishing. You are going to have to cast a ways out toward the middle of the lake and work your bait back to you. I have had good luck with crankbaits there this year but the water is pretty shallow and they can get hung up easy if you are not careful. Good luck and let us know how you do. Oh yeah wear your boots if you are going to walk the shoreline, it is pretty muddy right now, I was there for about an hour today.  If I were going out I would try another lake, like Royal, Woodglenn or Mercer.  Flippin4it may be able to point you to some other lakes to.

Ron

Thanks for the swift response and yikes, that doesn't sound like a heap of fun. I will head to Mercer instead - I assume from other posts that the dam is the place to be in the morning but there are also some nice looking points. I am hoping there may be some wildlife to keep my wife entertained with the photography as well. Maybe I will see you there Ron :) I'll be the guy with no hair trying to figure out which way round a crankbait goes..

Cheers,

/Andy

I will be out on Burke Lake tomorrow with my son.  I am launching my boat there for the first time.  If I were you I would work the two sides of the lake and maybe the back side of the lake near the stump field (tree stumps in the water).  The bass are moving to the back side of the lake, moving to shallow water.  Good luck, let me know how you do.

Ron

Won't be any help at all (have no idea where these lakes are ;D). Would like to say WELCOME to the forums!!! Glad you've got someone like rondef to help...

As Ever,

skillet