Sign in to follow this  
basslovr

Harris Chain?

Anybody fish this lately.....how are the water levels?  Where are the fish holding right now? Have they all spawned out or are there any stragglers? Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Tight Lines!!!

Basslovr 8-)

yeah the bass are pretty much done spawning, there may be a few left, but don't count on it. water level is stable(low but plenty) fish should be in kissimme grass surrounding spawning flats. try pitchin a trick worm or craw (black-blue, redbug, junebug) in and around grass, also white, white/chartruse spinnerbaits on outsides and pockets of grass. and don't forget bout the rattle traps.. good luck, post how u do in the harris section..

Thanx for the info there Alger.....When mentioning Rattle traps, am I correct in assuming you are speaking of the standard chrome with blue or black back? Will definitely post results in the Harris and Kissimmee thread.

Thanx again

Tight lines!!

8-)

I've got a club tourney in Lake Yale in about 3 months.  I don't think it connects with the Harris Chain.  Surprising they never dug a canal to Lake Eustis considering how close they are.

Looking at aerial maps, it looks like that there used to be a canal from Yale to Griffin, but since been filled in. Is that right, or is it just an optical illusion?  Any of you Harris people know anything about that?

:-?

There is a canal that connects yale and griffin. It is called the Yale canal but it is not passable by boat. If i am not mistaken it connects under ground. what club are you fishing gobble?

"The Central Florida Apopka Bass Club".

Speaking of Apopka.....I have never heard of anyone talking about Lake Apopka.....Is this lake not a fishable lake.....It looks pretty sizeable on Google Earth......Why no chatter about this lake? I see lots of talk of John's Lake just to the south of it and lots of other lakes but never this lake.

Good question about Lake Apopka.

I fished in a big tournament on Harris last weekend and neither I nor my boater caught a thing. I left thinking that I'd have to forget everything I thought I knew about bass fishing.

basslovr, I talked to an old timer about lake apopka. He said in about 1970 it was the best bass lake in the state. In about 1974 it became very polluted from runoff of local farms and businesses. It soon became known as the dead sea. The state has bought most of the land around the lake and started a cleanup effort. They still have some bird and gator die offs from residual chemicals. It has become better recently and they do catch some fish, but it will still be several years before it may be a good fishery. That is what he told me and I hope it returns to a bass mecca soon.

That's exactly right about Lake Apopka.  It was once considered one of the best bass fishing lakes in all of Florida. Then after decades of citrus fertilizer run-off it became infamous as one of the most polluted lakes.  The state has reportedly been trying to clean it up for years now.  

In all my 6 years of club fishing, I've never heard anyone ever nominate Lake Apopka.  It's gotten such a bad name that nobody wants to go there.  I've never fished it and don't know anyone who has.  

Well, thanx for the info on Apopka guys......What a shame.....hopefully the state will keep up the attempts to clean it up and it will return to it's previous reputation.

Sorry to hear about your lack of production there ElGuapo, I certainly hope it is not that way next week when my club fishes there.

Tight lines everybody!!

8-)

kissimmee chain 4-10 thru 4-13. had a 2 day on the k chain and finished 5th. fished hatch and caught a boat load of 2 pounders, but just couldn't get the big bite. big fish on saturday in my club was 5 pounds and on sunday was 8 pounds. the same guy caught both big fish. he weighed in the 8 pounder with 2 dinks. my partner and i caught more fish than our entire club combined; however, the fish we caught were all 1.5 to 2 pound fish. senkos, senkos, senkos, and senkos caught 99.9 % of our fish. we just couldn't find the big fish.