Sign in to follow this  
Tpayneful

Kerr - Buggs Island trip April 23rd info

My buddy is going to Kerr - Buggs Island on April 23rd.  Does anyone have any experience as to where to start fishing and what lures produce this time of year?  He is thinking about fishing Nutbush or Buffalo Junction / Bluestone area.  Which area warms up first?   He is finding conflicting information as to what end of the lake warms up first.

Just got back from Buggs Island. Right now the main lake is cold, muddy and high. Water height is at 305 feet. Full pool is 300, so the water is up in the bushes. Water temperature is 52-53 on the main lake, but the lower lake coves are in the mid 60s. This can change overnight however, as the water temperature in Grassy Creek dropped 5 degrees from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning.

Best areas to fish right now are feeder creeks and coves in Panhandle and Eastland Creek. This is where the water temperature is 65-70 degrees and the water is in the bushes.

White spinnerbaits on windblown points and around Sweet Gum trees on both sides of coves are taking good fish. Switch to Texas-rigged plastic lizard or creature baits in the backs of coves, targeting buckbrush and willow bushes in 2-4 feet of water. Better colors are green pumpkin and june bug, both with tails tipped with chartreuse dye. Buzzbaits will also take occasional fish early in the morning.

Some of the better fish will be spawning next week around the full moon. Take this into consideration.

NHBA Charlie.......

Charlie, Thanks for the information!  I have passed this on to my buddy.  He is going on the 26th ad 27th.