Sign in to follow this  
NitroMan

Aquia Creek

Who all fishes out of Aquia Creek? I posted the topic of "Hard Fishing On The Potomac River" If anyone is interested in showing me around to some good spots on monday april 21 or tuesday april 22 please let me know. I have met several people out of hope Springs where I usually put my boat in. And I've also come in contact with a lot of totally rude people. I usually go out by myself and I will probably be out mon and tues by myself also so if any one wants to go let me know, I really need so help in fishing this river I want to think I have tried everything but I still cannot do any good PM me or post. Thank You

Nitroman,

Don't be discouraged fishing the Potomac! The one thing that I would do is fish around the tides. I really like fishing from an hour before high tide through the outgoing period. The fish start to put the feed bag on when the tide goes out. Cast against the current and bring the lure back with the water flow. My parter prefers to throw a white and chatruse spinner bait and I like to throw a Bandit foot loose. I like to throw at lily pads and at scattered clumps of grass.

A blue fleck power worm is another good lure to throw as well as a Senko around docks. Don't give up because the Potomac has the best fishing throughout the Summer when lakes are boiling! Once the grass grows up you can run a Horny Toad on top or punch the mats with a craw.

Nitro,

I can meet you but it would have to be after 3:30PM.  I live close to Leesyvania State Park and I fish out of there normally.  My son and I have success fishing Mattawoman Creek and Occoquan Bay.

Ron,

Thanks but I usually leave the river by 3pm since I have to travel about an hour to get home. But once it gets a little warmer and the topwater bite starts hitting I will start staying a bit later. I try to start out at dawn, and stay as long as I can take the frustration. ;) If your ever out in Aquia I have an older model 17' Green Nitro. I would like to fish Mattowoman but the water is usually so rough it would beat the crap out of my little boat trying to get there from Aquia and not to mention with my 115hp it would take a while.

Nitroman:

Now is the time to fish Aquia Creek.  If you can possibly manage it, fish during the week. Head to the mouth of the creek and fish the grass bed on the south side. Just get in the grass and head for the bank. Stay a couple of boat lengths off the bank and fish soft plastics in the grass. The fish are in there, getting ready to spawn.

We normally like to fish topwater baits, but there have been so many tournament anglers in there in the past couple of weeks that they have torn up the grass and left pieces floating all over the surface.

You want to be fish the shore edge of the grass on the incoming tide and the creek side on the outgoing tide. If you can manage to fish during the week, you should have no problem catching fish there.

Most of the fish have not headed into the creeks yet, but are still holding in the main river, waiting for the full moon in May. Try the dropoff adjacent to Arkindale Flat, just upstream from Aquia Creek. Also check out Wade's Bay and Blue Banks, directly opposite Arkindale Flat. Here, you want to fish 1/4 oz. Rat-L-Traps where you can, buzzbaits over the top, spinnerbaits on the inside and outside edges and jig 'n pig or soft plastics in the grass.

Good luck

NHBA Charlie........