Sign in to follow this  
NitroMan

Catfishing Lake curtis in Stafford County, Va

Has anyone tried to catch any catfish on this lake at night so far in 2008? I fished it last year during the night quite a bit but I didn't catch many. And the ones I caught were small. If anyone can give me some advice I'm all ears.

All I have heard about the cat fishing on this lake is that it is tough.  The best bet is for you to go one warm weekend on a Saturday morning or afternoon, that's when a lot of the small docks in the parking lot are occupied by fellow cat fishermen (at least from my experience).  Maybe these guys can give you some advice.  I've seen some people with mulitple poles out there but haven't seen too many cats that have been pulled in.  I know a couple of the guys were dip netting a bunch of the minnows and smaller feeder fish up front by the grass (last summer) and using that as bait.  But I've always used cut bluegill or panfish myself.

Other option would be to check out a catfishing forum.  I think there is one called master catters?  Or something like that...

Not worth your time... Go to Abel Reservoir for channel cats, much better fishing there.

Go north on Poplar Road from Rt. 17.

Turn right onto Kellog Mill Road. (You will see a radio tower).

Drive past the radio tower a mile or so. The road crosses directly over Abel Reservoir. The access road is off to the left before you cross the lake. There is an unimproved boat launching area, not a ramp, just gravel. You may or may not be able to launch your glass boat there. If you do remember that this is a water supply lake and use of the gas engine is illegal.

The times I have been there I've been on foot. I've caught a few crappie. Looks like a real good crappie lake. Probably good bluegill too. Likely ok, but not great, for LMB.

I have fished it somewhat over the last couple years. There is a decent crappie population. Average around 8" my biggest was 14.5". There isn't much cover in the lake, my best method is slow trolling with tiny crankbaits through open water. It kills the crappies. There are some nice sized chain pickerel, biggest was 22.5". There are also white perch as well. There are some huge warmouths in the lake too, you'd be amazed at how big a largemouth bait they can swallow. The largemouths in the lake are BIG but smart. You can see them in the shallows this time of year. I caught one 23.5" and 7 lbs 3 oz last year but the average bass is perhaps 14". The channel cats average about 16" but I have caught them up to 16 lbs in there. You really need a boat to fish the lake, it is so long and narrow and bring an extra trolling motor battery...

Not to get off topic, but what part of Stafford are you from? I used to live over by Mount Ararat Baptist Church.

-searoach