Sign in to follow this  
Vekol

Aquia Creek 4 May

Dinkfest. And not much of a fest either. Caught four bass that put together might have weighed four pounds. Had a decent fish on at about 7AM, but it wrapped itself around some spatterdock stems and never made it to the boat. Wind, bright skies, and a funky tide probably didn't help.

I went out on Aquia Creek Monday May 5 and Tuesday May 6. Monday we luanched out at first lite went striaght to the grass bed and we had a terrific day. About 615am we started to catch them and about 10 am it slowed down a little. But all in all we probably caught about 25 good keepers. It has been a little while since I have caught that many fish let alone good size keepers. Then Tuesday we went out about 1pm and we had a good day again we caught about 15 bass maybe 2 keepers but I was still happy with the progress I have made. Where were you fishing Vekol?

Hey guys,

My dad and I and possibly Dominion Dan will be hitting Mattawoman Creek this weekend. Has anybody tried throwing topwater on the Potomac yet this month or late last month?

I was curious if the post spawn buzzbait and or frog bite is starting up at all as the bass should be on the second wave of spawn here shortly. Any of you find any post spawn bucketmouths yet? Just curious.

We were planning on launching around 7 (high tide at 11:30) and fishing main river outside of the creek until the incoming tide looking for some new main river spots.

Last time out Manns Cranks, Lipless Cranks and Zoom worms seemed to produce most fish. Other baits were left almost untouched. I'm gonna try running some spinnerbaits along with those during high tide this time and maybe try out my new Lake Fork Magic Shad swimbaits I just bought. The action on those are awesome! And I found some that come pre rigged which is even better. Walmart has em' for just 2.47 a pop.

We plan on fishing grass... more grass... and more grass lol. Moving in with the tide and pushing back as it goes out. Will have a report for those interested day after the trip. Later fellas. Tight lines out there on the tidal!

Vekol, Nitroman & Paul, you guys should try fishing the grass in Mattawoman Creek. The bite is pretty consistant there so long as you are cool fishing the heavy grass. We have always had good luck fishing the grass, we start a couple hours before the high tide and stay until a couple hours after high tide. Send me a PM if you want some information on the creek.

I went out on Aquia Creek Monday May 5 and Tuesday May 6. Monday we luanched out at first lite went striaght to the grass bed and we had a terrific day. About 615am we started to catch them and about 10 am it slowed down a little. But all in all we probably caught about 25 good keepers. It has been a little while since I have caught that many fish let alone good size keepers. Then Tuesday we went out about 1pm and we had a good day again we caught about 15 bass maybe 2 keepers but I was still happy with the progress I have made. Where were you fishing Vekol?

I started out on the first cove on the south side of the creek after you go under the tracks. The cover in this cove is primarily spatterdock, but there is a band of hydrilla at the mouth of the creek. I had my hopes up because I caught 2 and lost a good one here before 8am. They seemed to be around wood. Then I moved farther out towards the river. This was about the time the wind really started to howl out of the north and west. After that I caught two more in the next 3 hours. After that, nothing.

There was a lot of fishing pressure on Sunday, perhaps that had an effect. As good a thing to blame poor performance on as anything.  ;)

Where were you fishing Vekol?

Oh no, duck for cover.

;) ;D 8-)

Yes, I saw the thread. Different waters require different levels of secrecy. The thing about the river is that I could go back to that same place next weekend and knock it out of the park. The fish move in the Potomac, your job is to find them. So I can tell you that a certain area on the river was great for me yesterday, by the time you get there tomorrow the fish may be somewhere else. A good milk run is important on the Potomac.

Vekol, Nitroman & Paul, you guys should try fishing the grass in Mattawoman Creek. The bite is pretty consistant there so long as you are cool fishing the heavy grass. We have always had good luck fishing the grass, we start a couple hours before the high tide and stay until a couple hours after high tide. Send me a PM if you want some information on the creek.

I've never been to Mattawoman. I understand it gets a lot of pressure. Can you compare the pressure in Mattawoman to what you find in Aquia?