Sign in to follow this  
soccplayer07

NoVA Anglers

Hello all. I am fishing a tournament this weekend. Yesterday the water level at Bull Run rose 5 feet due to heavy rains the past two days. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

I wish I could help you but I have not fished Bull Run this year.  I can say be careful near the bridge because you never know where the debris is trapped.

Hey Socr are you sure they are not cancelling it?  They said on the news and showed video of Bull Run Marina and it is the worst since Hurricane Agnes or something like that back in 72?  If I remember right.  People at the park said they have never seen anything like it (managers and employees).  

If you are fishing I wouldn't even known where to begin with all that new cover with water on it.  Hope you have kept an eye out for shoreline contours in the last couple of months.  Anywhere there is large brush or trees would be a start point for me.  They are gonna be roaming a lot more with the water up like this.  Good luck dude.

Man yesterday was bad. I had to take the LONG way home. They shut down old centreville rd all day because the water was up over the road.

Anyway, I'm sure 71rig will chime in as he is very familiar with the river and res.

Yea the bridge at Centreville was flooded over too (from what I saw on the news).  Crazy flooding.  Tons of sinkholes, landslides, trees down, etc.  Sucks for everybody near any of these runoff areas and or creeks.

Haven't been down to the Rez yet to check it out.  Lake Jackson was spilling some serious water this morning though.  Super high, coffee with one cream and two sugars in color and a nice "froth" on top.  Actually looked like someone put too much soap in the washing machine.  From Rt 234 there was no island down stream and it looked like the flood plain was close to being breached.  

You are going to have a hard time finding fish in that soup.  I would go big and loud.  Oh, and keep and eye out for the trees that will be floating down stream. They can do a number on a lower unit.  

I'm out for the weekend and will hopefully the water will settle before vacation.

Will update later when I head down to Lake Ridge Park to check out the water.    

fished the reservoir today went down towards the dam in the morning which was a mistake then decided to run up river at around 1 (I was at the dam) and ran up a little past fountainhead on that next s turn, nada. its crazy what the reservoir looks like now there are coves that are pretty much unrecognizable. i tried cranking points in the morning then through a white spinner at every piece of structure i saw, then decided i needed to slow down since the water temp has dropped way down (didn't have my fishfinder hooked up but i'd guess it at 55) and still got nothing so i dunno hopefully it'll settle down and the bite will turn back on by your tournament.

For those of you that know Lake Ridge Park you will get wet walking out on the dock on the boat ramp.  The end is floating but to get on it you will have to wade through about 2 feet of water. There are two water logged trees that block the ramp also.  Each is about 2.5 feet in diameter and 12-15 feet long.  The path that goes to the rental boat area is also flooded but looks to be receding a bit.  

I bet all this water has switched up some of the wood that I regularly  fish :'(.  

another sitekid, how was it navigating the debris?  Was there a lot of wood floating in the main channel?  You are a real trooper to get out there today.

we definitely had to be careful today had my buddy looking out front for me and luckily didn't hit anything too hard (hit one submerged piece that we couldn't see but i wasn't going to fast at the time). Theres a lot of crap floating around out there though lost kayaks, paddle boats, trees, docks, everything that floats so be careful but you should be fine, my boats not fast enough for anything to really sneak up on me. there were two guys in a big pontoon boat type deal with a smaller boat with two teenagers in there cleaning up everything so hopefully they'll get most of the stuff and the rest will find a place on shore. How long you guys think it'll take for it to settle down and the water go back to normal clarity etc?

With more rain forecast'd, it will get worse b4 it gets better.  I'd imagine with a handful of sunny, and non-windy days, it will be back to normal... plus a few feet.