Sign in to follow this  
GLADES

Lake Okeechobee, Fl

Anyone been fishing the Big O recently?

There is a club tourney out of Clewiston this sunday.

I plan on going east on the rim canal and fishing the cuts and dynamite holes.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Also, where is the east and west wall? How do I get there?

Thanks

The rim canal is good, and has been good for a long time, however, if the bite is not happening with the bigger fish there, and it looks like a limit of 3lb fish could do well look to the lake.

I fished the last BFL out of Okeechobee (and i know that this was a month ago and conditions change) however I had one spot that I went to on the north side of observation shoal that was not too far northwest of Cochrans pass which had supplied more 3-5lb bass than i could ever ask for.  During that tournament my non-boater and I both caught a limit and each culled at least 7 times before 9:30.......and my depthfinder said .8ft!  And the best thing about the spot was that it produced more than two limits of fish every day I visited it for a month!

Now, clearer water was important.......along with timing.......you cant catch them after the sun gets up out there.......they move too much and you cant catch up with them.  Rattletraps caught all the fish.  

As far as getter out there........take the Sportsmans cut out to the water tower and when you pass the water tower then you can start following Observation down........for your first time DO NOT stop in water less than 4 feet.......and idle your way in........and do not get lower than a mile above cochrans pass unless you know the way to go through Uncle Joes cut from the rim canal....which can saver you alot of time......but ive never tried it but many of my friends have done it RECENTLY.  

The fishing was very slow in the Lake O rim canal on sunday.

I caught a speckled perch on a black trick worm, and a 15 lb gar on a june bug trick worm.The son caught a 1.5 lb bass.

I heard reports that the fish were in the lake near observation shoal, but I didnt want to chance the low water. Im going to have to take a day and explore lake and learn the routes to the good areas.