Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Rappahannock...wow

So since last Wednesday the Rap at Fredericksburg has went from a height of a little under 3ft to over 11ft. It has dropped in temperature from 73 degrees to about 44. So much for my smallie trip and wading this weekend...

Does anyone know how long it typically takes the Rap to get back down after it gets this close to flood stage? Just curious. Looks like isolated thunderstorms on wed and thurs too. How long before you guys think smallie fishing on the rap will be a possibility?

Dan, Kevin, Eric and Andy:  Looks like we are gonna have to resort to plan B and hit some of those ponds we saw last weekend.  My dad has directions mapped out to all of em' and we are gonna get details finalized Thursday morning or so.  I'll pm all of you and let you know.

wow, over 11ft? I would think it'll take at least 2 weeks to get back to a "normal" level.

i was really looking forward to getting into some smallie action.

I would expect at least a week for it to go back down, and that is only if it actually STOPS raining  :(

It could be more like two weeks depending how much rain the region that drains into the Rapp actually did get...

Mepps,

Yea dude I couldn't believe it when I saw it earlier today.  But I have the link for the usgs site on my desktop so I know when the Rap is clear for wading.  That water got cold as h*ll too man.  Almost a 30 degree drop in temps in less than a week.  Crazy stuff.

I was looking forward to smallies too but we got some good ponds laid out.  It's gonna be a fund ay regardless and if it's anything like last weekends outing we should have plenty of good sized largemouth.  I'm excited to try out some of the newer ones we mapped out but even more so to head back to one of the ones we found last weekend (if the others don't work out).

Glad you all did not try your luck at the Pony Pasture.

The Historic James River is boiling and right now, Tuesday, May 13, and it is headed to over nine (9) feet which means you need a permit to access the river.

So how long will it take the Rapp to calm down? Don't know. It depends on the watershed feeding the river and how much rain the watershed receives and for how long.

I would venture a guess and say ten (10) to fourteen (14) days after it stops raining over the watershed.

As for ponds, they are full in our geographical area so remember to throw a Mann's Minus One parallel to the shore to aggravate them if they are still on their beds or swimming around.

And with the ponds receiving so much rain, they may be stained or dirty so a Rat-L-Trap may produce some strikes.

Have fun and let us know how you do.

I am going to try to hit the Shenandoah University concrete pond in Winchester today before my meeting in Mount Jackson and then fish a friend's ponds outside Luray on Wednesday before another afternoon meeting in Strausburg.

And watch out for snakes. They are being forced to move around due to the high water.  :)

Seeing the Rapp yesterday I would give it a week +.  That water was moving yesterday.  Or you could always go with a 24 oz weight and cast up stream and let the baits drift.  But I would go with the waiting scenario ;D.  

Haha.  Yea we are gonna hold off and do some pond fishing this weekend man.  How abnormaly high was the water when you saw it?  

There was no "bank" visible.  I crossed it in the am and then again in the afternoon on 95.  It was higher in the afternoon then in the am from what I recall.  All you could see were water and leaves.  No rocks, no tree trunks, no dry land.  It looked like the river just reclaimed the flood plain and went on forever.  Looked like it would be fun in a canoe!  

give it a good 10 days and with little to no rain you will be in business.

Thanks for the info 71 rig.  Looks like I'm gonna have to wait things out until after my memorial day vacation to chincoteague with my buddies.  Doing some saltwater fishing over on the banks there (rented a cottage for the 4 day weekend).

If you're interested in coming down with me early June hit me up man.  Should be a fun time.  And nothin' beats fishing for those Rappahannock bronzebacks... unless you're on the James  :P

Thanks for the info 71 rig.  Looks like I'm gonna have to wait things out until after my memorial day vacation to chincoteague with my buddies.  Doing some saltwater fishing over on the banks there (rented a cottage for the 4 day weekend).

If you're interested in coming down with me early June hit me up man.  Should be a fun time.  And nothin' beats fishing for those Rappahannock bronzebacks... unless you're on the James  :P

or the New  ;D

Good luck down there in Chincoteague.  One word of advise, BUG SPRAY (ok, 2).  I was just down there last Tuesday-Thursday and they are murder when the wind dies down.  I'm not exaggerating either.  Swarms of mosquitoes and biting flies.  I would consider a head net too, especially on the bay side.

June sounds good.  I will be working on the James and Appomattox most of the month so a change of water might be nice on the weekends.  Just have to see what kind of list the wife makes up for me.    

As of right now, next Saturday (The 17th) is wade number 1 (water temp depending).  We will meet at my place at like 6:30 and drive down to Fredericksburg.  

The water level has already come back down to four feet but there hasn't been a temperature check sinc ethe first storm so I'm not sure what it's at but I'm sure it hasn't come up much at all yet.

The second wade will be early/mid June.  Probably June 14, cause I work the 7th.

Scratch that.  I'm a week behind lol.  Yea so looks like as of right now June 14.  Almost a month away.  Can't go next weekend cause I'll be on vacation.

The water temp was actually down to 44 degrees? Or was it 54? If the water was even as cold as 54 you can kiss good bye the spawning success of our smallies this year. That cold high water will have killed all the fry and eggs. Hopefully not all the bass have spawned and once the water gets back to normal in a week or so they can get to business making some baby bass...

Yea, that's what I was worried about with the timing of that last front and all the rain we had.  And yes if you look at the usgs website for water factors you will se it dipped as low as 45 degrees.  It sucks.  We will feel the effects in 4-5 years when this years class reaches maturity.

Hopefully your right and the first wave came through unharmed and there are still some that may spawn after the levels get back closer to normal.  I will post results of what it looks like right now later today when I have time to check out the site.

Right now the height is 3.7 feet.  Still a bit above the "dangerous level" of 3.2

Water temps are unavailable.  I think they are in the process of updating to current info.  Might take til' the end of the day.  I'll keep you guys posted.  I may also email the vdgif down in fredericksburg and see if they have any info or ideas about how this pattern may have affected the spawn of our local smallmouths.

Looking at the USGS site right now the Rap is at normal pool at Fredericksburg and the discharge is relatively normal. This weekend's weather and into next week looks good right now so the 31st is looking ideal for the first wading trip for those interested.

Details:

Meeting up in Fredericksburg at 7am at the intersection of River Rd and Falls Hill (dirt parking lot at that corner on the right).

Fishing until 2pm

Heading upstream from Falls Hill Avenue and working our way up past the campground.

Definites for next Saturday? Right now it's myself, my buddy Eric (sk mafia from this forum), my friend Andy (Angler N Fuego) and possibly my pops.

Dan, you still gonna be around and up for it?

71rig you figure out what's poppin' for that weekend yet?

I'm down as long as the water temps get into the 70s. If they aren't in that area by then, I might have to bail out because that's too cold for me.

Dan, as soon as they get temps up I'll post them.  Right now it says it's unavailable.  So I'm sure they are in the process of getting those up or will do it sometime soon.  If they don't I'm gonna call down to the department in Fredericksburg and see if I can obtain the info from someone down there.

I'm unfortunately out of town this weekend so I can't make it.  Let me know how you guys do and I'll make the next one.  As for water temps...neoprene waders.  I got the 3mm that let me fish with snow on the ground ;D.  Worth the investment.