Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Anyone in Remington, Va

Hey guys, anybody know if there is much bank access to the Rappahannock up around the Remington area?  Not wade wise but just bank fishing.  Just trying to locate more areas along the bank other than Fredericksburg to catch smallies.  Too long a hike to hit Pony Pasture on the James at the moment.

You are looking for anyone living in Remington, Virginia?

Do people actually live in Remington?

I thought it was only a sign on US Route 15/29 heading to and from Culpeper.

And you say you can get to the Rapp from Remington?  Is the area to get to the Rapp by the  US 15 Business bridge or the train bridge or somewhere else?

And I would think there would be snakes in this area of the world around the Rapp.

Just curious.

I think people live in Remington, but I'm not sure if they have the internet.  ;D

Sam, I think he's looking at places like the Phelps WMA and Kelly's Ford which are off of Sumerduck Road South of Remington.

There are lots of snakes, too. They usually leave people alone though, just be careful.

There is some good wade fishing, too.

Dominion Dan,

Now let me get this straight.

You wade in the part of the river where there are a lot of snakes?

I don't think I will be doing that very soon.

I don't want Just Crazy to do it either as he is my resource for fishing a few places in the Old Dominion and I want him healthy, happy and thin. ;)

We need both of you guys on the forum and not in the hospital.

It's not that bad. Most of the ones I see are water snakes. They usually stay as far away as possible. You just have to be careful getting to the water, once you're in, they are pretty easy to see and avoid.

One time I saw one swimming and a big smallie was chasing him, I ended up catching the smallie and thanking the snake for bringing the fish to me.

Reminds me of the time we were fishing in the Mississippi Sound on the sandbars and my uncle was reeling in a speckled trout as it was being followed by a shark.

The fish came right up to my uncle and as he lifted it out of the water the shark went right between his legs.

I swear he made a 15 foot leap out of the water from where he was standing into the skiff.

So now, you were fishing and a snake was bringing a smallie to you..... ;D

So now, you were fishing and a snake was bringing a smallie to you..... ;D

Once he saw me, he went toward the bank, I cast a jerkbait, walking it on the surface like the motion the snake was making and then let it sink. Fish caught. (well, after he jumped 4ft out of the water--I really crossed his eyes good)

Don't wade in the Rapp.  It's full of biomedical waste and pathogens not to mention mercury, arsenic, and PCBs.  You will most certainly die.

Tight lines.

omg, that was so funny, 71rig!

on a serious note,

The Rapp is the easiest wading I've found. Sandy bottom, seclusion, clear water, and its pretty clean as far as I know. Not to mention good fishing.

So when we going?  I like most certain death.  Oh, and catching smallies too!  

I fish the portion going through Frednecksburg now and again.  Mostly short fish but a few bigguns here and there.  

And you are right, people in Remington don't have the world wide internets yet.    

Yea Dan... that's it lol.  That's what I meant though, any of the areas around there beside the stuff you read about on VDGIF.  Anyway...

71, always worth a laugh or two.  We all need to get out to the Rap when it warms out and wade upstream from Fredericksburg.  Dan you'll have to let us know how your schedule looks around mid April or so so we can plan an outing, that would be fun.

Sam, don't worry about me, I always bring a buddy and I'm in good hands, my wife wouldn't have it any other way lol.  She gets nervous when I go down to the Rap by myself and gives me a hard time.  Lol.  But yea, you guys are a trip.  Sam, you and Dan need to coordinate around April a couple days were you guys could get up for the weekend.  We have a guest bedroom in my apt and I don't mind puttin' you fellas up and drivin us down for a weekend of smallie action.  Think it over.  Talk to you guys later.

Yeah, I'll have to see how April goes. I get out of school the first week of May. I will almost certainly be able to fish then. I live in Falls Church so I have a place to stay that's pretty close. It only take me a little over an hour to get to the Rapp and a little longer to the Rapidan.

It would be very fun to go on a group wade trip. I never fish with anyone who's into it quite as much as I am, that should be fun.

Maybe, we will see.

April is still a busy time for me but who knows???

Sam

Hey guys, anybody know if there is much bank access to the Rappahannock up around the Remington area? Not wade wise but just bank fishing. Just trying to locate more areas along the bank other than Fredericksburg to catch smallies. Too long a hike to hit Pony Pasture on the James at the moment.

Bank fishing the Rap in this area is kind of tough because of the steep banks on the south side of the river downstream from Kelly's ford. Unfortunately, the north side is pretty much all private so there is no access unless you know someone. You can fish the bank around Kelly's ford, and might have some luck this time of year since there are few people there when the water is cold. When the water is warm the place is crowded with swimmers, kids splashing, and other fisherman. You might also want to try the Rapidan at Ely's ford--there are some small fish there--but once again limited bank access. The only snakes you need to worry about are copperheads, and they'll probably be snoozing until mid-March/April.

if you wade downstream far enough from Elys Ford there are some big fish. I went there probably 6-8 times this summer and I caught fish over 16" everytime and a couple 20"ers

if you wade downstream far enough from Elys Ford there are some big fish. I went there probably 6-8 times this summer and I caught fish over 16" everytime and a couple 20"ers

That's good to know. I've never gotten much more than 150 yards downstream from the ford. Next time, I'll go a little farther.  ;)

if you are wading downstream, once you get around that first bend to the left in the river, the fishing gets much better.I've been probably another 600-800 yards past that first bend and there is deeper water, lots of rocks, some steep banks with troughs along them and plenty of large isolated rocks as well as a couple rock bluff banks. It is really tiring when you wade back upstream all that way against the current when you are done, though.

I think I may try to float it from the ford down to near Motts Run reservoir if I can. I have to make sure I can get a 10' jon boat through the rocky area where the rapidan and rappahannock meet and down to the river road area safely.

Yea, Dan is my go to guy for any info on the Rappahannock.  Man has got me some great info as far as baits and I can't wait to try out some of the wade trips he's told me about.  This year is gonna have some awesome smallie adventures mixed in the bag.  Dan when you figure out when you will be around town, get to me and maybe we can schedule something.  If you wanna head out in the boat on the Potomac with my pops and I that's cool too.  Just let me know so I can squeeze you in for the particular weekend.  Later boss.

I was checking out the old forums and I came across this one... I live in Remington,Va and guess what.... I have internet lol. But if you're looking for great smallie action the Rapp is a great place. And like the other guys on here I wouldn't advise wading. I went one time wading last year and snakes were everywhere. Now I hate snakes like crazy, pretty much everytime we would walk farther downstream we would run across more snakes I think all in all we saw about 30 snakes in a 2 hour time period. The only reason we stayed that long is because a buudy of mine that I went with wasn't scared of snakes. But minus all the snakes we had a blast. We must have caught over 80 smallies. None were that ig but it was fun.

Now when I was younger I was in the boy scouts and we rented canoes for a whole weekend. We went all the way from Remington to Summerduck which ended up being about a 3 hour canoe ride. We fished the whole time and that was so much fun. I do not remember the place where we pulled the canoes out of the water but we camped there that night and the next day we took the canoes back up the road to Remington and did it all over again. I need to go out there and try it again. This time of year is the best to go.