Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Rewarding Lunch Break

I decided despite the heat, chocolate milk for water clarity, the rain earlier this week and the time constraints I would head out during lunch to try my luck at Lake Accotink. One of our well known lakes, though not neccessarily for it's largemouth bass.

I know of a pretty good summer pattern here that has worked well for me (numbers wise) here so I tied on one particular bait and was tossing around at the shallow end of the lake... I know, I know... most of the bass are on the left side of the lake and the shallow area ESPECIALLY during the summer doesn't hold many bass. But their are a few particular areas along the dam that ALWAYS hold fish.

Fortunately even though I only had 20 minutes today on my LAST CAST I managed to get my bait in an area where I saw some carp feeding and rolling on the water... the bass didn't seem to mind though the ones that were feeding top water were swarming around baitfish. I had a big fish (more than likely a carp) hit, but it felt like it grabbed it for a quick second and then rolled on top of it, no fish. Three or four reel rotations later my bait was being pulled down. I set the hook quick and reeled in a small bass just under keeper size. Sure nothing special to most, but given the conditions today, mid-afternoon heat, and unlikelyhood of stumbling upon a feeding frenzy this time in the afternoon I was pretty stoked. Made my day.

Twenty minutes, one bait, one fish, one heart felt smile. Good stuff!

Good job Jay, it is tough fishing mid day in the high heat.  Glad to see you hooked into one in the short time you were there.