Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Need a fishing partner tommorrow (Fountainhead)

So who wants to fish the Rez tommorrow? I have a free rental pass from an employee last year includes boat, electric motor, battery and preservers. No money needed. Just need to meet me at the launch at 6am to help me with the boat and load gear.

I am doing this out of Fountainhead. I wanna be in the water at 6:15am (rentals start at 6am) and be out by 11:50am (need to be at work at 12:30). If you're interested respond asap. I need a definate, not a maybe.

So we will get about five and a half hours of fishing. I already have some spots pegged out that I'd like to try but having someone along who knows that part of the rez well would be beneficial as I've only been out of here one time and had no luck (though I've caught some nice ones from shore). I know what patterns need to be worked as of now and know what to look for but I would like to have someone who currently has an idea of where the fish are here.

Let me know folks. Offer stands all day. I'd like to set this up asap.

After the storms tonight it looks like temps will start at 72 around 6am and only get up to 82 before I have to leave, should be fairly comfortable out there after all this heat.

Darn, if I didn't have a meeting tomorrow morning, I'd be all over this offer. I've been meaning to hit Fountainhead up all season.

Nobody free tommorrow morning?  This is FREE on your part lol.  No gas money, no ramp fees, no boat rental fee.  Just 5 and a half hours of fishing for some bass.  Anyone?!?!?

Ok guys, I get off work at 5:00pm. If I don't have any offers from anyone by that time I'm gonna give the spot to one of the non-forum fishing buddies I have, so check your schedule and let me know. Be up for meeting new guys in the area too. Whoever is interested, just let me know.

*Rant* Even the non forum guys I'm asking can't make it tommorrow. Does anyone fish some mornings during the week?!?!?!? Geez!

As of now I'll check a few more times tonight since I don't have anyone to go with yet, so let me know.

hmmm... I'll talk to the wife tonight.  I'm working late though and can't get you a final answer until maybe 10pm?  If you find someone before then that's fine.

Hey Paul, I actually JUST got a pm with a definitive answer. Leave me your number through pm and if something happens I can call you later this evening. Sorry dude, thanks for the interest though man.

Let us know how it goes (report?).  I plan on going this weekend.  good luck

Are you? I was about to ask you about father's day. If you're not busy with the kids shoot me a text.

Can't wait to hear how it goes out on the Rez. I've also been trying to make it out there.  Should be a good day to fish, if only I didn't have work to do.

Jay,

Send me an email letting me know how you made out.  I am also looking forward to reading your blog for the trip.

Report (full) will be up on my blog around 4 - 4:30pm. Paul and I caught three keepers and four dinks for a total of seven bass. He caught five total (two keepers) and I caught two (one keeper... barely only at 1lb 1oz). The other fish I caught was keeper if you went by length but wow was it skinny. We fished from 6:40am until 10:50am for a total of about four hours. Not bad for having never launched out of here before (either one of us).

Cool parts of the day... learning. Paul taught me a whole bunch and is one class act guy. He really knows how to break down water and I could not thank him enough for all the tips he bestowed upon me today. He gave me pointers on walking the dog, pitching, the benefits of line conditioner (I am a firm believer after trying it today), and just general fishing knowledge. He really knows his stuff and I definately want to get back out with him again. Thanks again Paul.

Another cool part of the day came when I caught a Crappie the size of my biggest bass. Boy was he fat. Came off a lay down and fought so hard I thought I had a keeper bass lol.

We fished a lot of different water and tried dialing in on a whole bunch of different patterns in a short time. We caught fish on a variety of different baits and in a lot of different areas. So that was also cool. All the details will be up on my blog that I write during lunch. Check it out later (link in my profile). Will have pictures there as well.

Blog is now up:  http://another sitereport.blogspot.com/

Edited at 4:12pm.

I have been lurking for a while now(almost a year) and thought I would post up and say hello.

Where did you guys fish? When coming out of Fountianhead, did you go right or left? This time of year yous should have been throwing a brush hog or jig the whole time.

This time of year yous should have been throwing a brush hog or jig the whole time.

X2

Not a baby Brush Hog either, the full size.

Haven't ever really been a fan of the brush hog (so I don't carry them anymore) and my jig game is way sub par so I didn't really want to focus on weaknesses my first time out here. After working on my jig game a bit more and my pitching throughout this month and next month I may slowly start working the jig back into the arsenal. I have plenty of them and trailers in my tackle box.

Anyone have any good ideas for jig trailers that work on the rez well? I normally throw the jig x trailers, double tail grubs (for more of a swimming popping action), and or Yum Chunks. I normally use either a brown/pumpkin type color jig sometimes with greens mixed in or a blue/black jig with matching trailer.

Like I said not an expert with jigs though I've thrown them for over 50 hours plus, but I think I may have been throwing them the wrong way the whole time so, after yesterday I plan on trying to use them with pitching and getting them into better spots and so forth.

Paul gave me a few pointers yesterday so I may try them after I try and get my limit this weekend and then see if I can't hook into a bigger fish with one. Either will be at Germantown Lake, Lake Lunga, or Lake Anna. Haven't decided yet but will tonight.

Ps:  Stickum, we went up to the right once we launched.

Rage Tail chunks! AWESOME ACTION! Haven't caught a fish off one yet but d**n does it look good in the water.

This time of year yous should have been throwing a brush hog or jig the whole time.

X2

Not a baby Brush Hog either, the full size.

Baby brush hogs are killin it at every pond i've fished over the past 3 weeks...

not too good at reports, but here goes.... (no fish/depth finder, thermometer and scale - hoping to get one of these for Father's Day  ;D)

launched about 6:15, headed right from the shore, I believe that's NW according to the maps.  I looked at the topo maps a couple nights before and most of the shoreline that direction drops to 10ft pretty quick...

Started with topwaters and shallow runners, no action.  Switched to my confidence lures - plastics, rigged wacky at first.  Two bites on this setup, but they took the lure off the hook.  Must have been smaller fish since they didn't get inhaled.  Switched to T-rigged and land ~1lb a few nibbles here and there after that.  The plastics were fished near shoreline near cover (fallen timber, grass beds - exposed).  Went to Rat-L-Trap (Bleeding Green Chartreuse), hooked two, but both shook off a couple feet from the boat, one looked to be in the 2-3lb range.  They were hooked in 7-10ft of water, fast - erratic retrieve.  Few hours later around 1:30p as I was heading back to the launch area, I noticed a several schools of bait fish.  After observing for a couple minutes I noticed there were disturbances in the school every 30 seconds or so.  The light bulb went off in my head...bass, bigger fish must be picking them off as they move to wherever they were going.  I took a look at what I had rigged on my rods; 2 cranks and 1 worm.  I figured the worm would fair well...it would stand out from the crowd and would be slow enough for the hungry bigger fish.  On the third cast into the school something took my line, set the hook and it was on...landed him, ~3lb (really need to get a scale).

Lures used:

Jackall Giron - Bluegill

Rat-L-Trap - Bleeding Green/Chartreuse (other than the plastics, this has been my go to lure, catching a lot this year with it)

Megabait Charlie 4" - Perch

Jackall flick shake worm 5.8" - Cinnamon Solid (all bites were on this color)

"             "                   "      - Green Pumpkin

Baby Mann's - 1 Minus

Terminator T-1 - White/Chartreuse, double blade; colorado/willow

Question:  Has anyone used the "technique" mentioned; targeting and throwing into schools of bait fish?  I'm really interested to here about your experience with this.

Seemed successful for me today - 3 casts

All and all it was a nice day to be out, could've been better, but at least I didn't get skunked.  :)

HTH

Onthereel,

I've had feast or famine fishing in the shad schools. Historically I've had much better fishing at night when the shad are being pushed. I've caught them on topwater with zara spooks, jitterbugs, spittin image, wooden swimming plugs etc. I've also gotten fish on black spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits fished slowly below the school.

During the day crankbaits and lipless crankbaits have occasionally worked for me. I especially like the lipless crankbaitsbaits because of the shad profile. I haven't tried them yet but I'll bet a swimbait below the school would be money as well.

Paul

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually tried lipless crank after the worm, no takers.  

Do you recall if you fished it in the same direction the shad schools were going?  Does it matter?

When I was at fountainhead, friday, I saw the same thing. LOTS of shad schools. I chased the schools for a good amount of time throwing my only crank bait, a rapala that was in blue gill pattern, and had no luck. I tried the outside of the school, straight through it, but nothing got anything. I then switched to a magic shad and tried that. Tried to imitate a dying shad in the school but that didn't get any takers either  :(.   I did hook onto something that doubled over my rod at the concrete wall. I managed to skip it into the first "cave" quietly and BAM! my rod tip went down hard, bounced twice then snap  :'(

My buddy and I had a lot of luck off texas rigged senkos.