Sign in to follow this  
rondef

Germantown Lake Faquier County Virginia

Has anyone fished Germantown Lake lately?  Is the grass getting thick yet up beyond the boat docks?  How are the water levels?  

I fish Germantown Lake all the time, Ron.   The water levels are good, but since the bad weather we had about a month ago and the water is still murky. I have had good luck fishing the channel towards the stream that brings the water into the lake. I use a 6" chartruse lizard. I have also had some good luck using a green pumpkin/ pumpkin seed worms. There are some huge bass in that lake however I havn't caught any this year. Last year I caught a few LMB over 5 lbs. out there.

If you wanna go some day let me know!!!

Jason and I are going there Saturday for Fathers Day. We have only fished it one other time right after a cold front in early April. It was really cold with high winds and stained water.  However we did ok our last time but didn't catch any hawgs. We are hoping to catch a couple of hawgs this time.

Hey Nitro, how and where do you throw your lizards at Germanton? Do you throw them on a carolina rig, split shot rig, texas rig, etc? Do you work mostly the grass in that upper area of the lake after you pass the docks?

How has your luck been fishing the grass at this lake? Or do you normally look for different types of cove like timber, the few stickups available, shoreline structure, etc?

Last time out I crushed the dinks on a Sexy Shad Lipless crank which I may throw a bit early morning as a search bait in the deeper water outside the grass lines or over submerged deeper grass, but after my topwater.

I've had luck with a spinnerbait lately so that may be my go to search bait tommorrow.

As far as topwater what do you find that works best for post spawn fish here? Just curious. I was planning on tossing a Shad Rage Tail and a Zara Puppy. Think that's a good start? Buzzbaits haven't done anything for me this year.

Any other posters who have fished here lately can respond as well. I'd like as much info as possible.

.The grass really hasn't gotten up yet this year. I think the storm really screwed it all up. If you know where the handicap dock is.... There used to be a railing that served as a gaurd rail to the dock, with the high waters we had it tore it down completley and over all we were about 11ft ABOVE normal level.

I do not fish where the grass should be considering on a clear day you can see the 6" to the bottom where the grass usaully is. So I stick towards the canal that runs along the right side of the lake above the boat docks... (the dock where you can rent a boat). It will droppoff from about 2'- 5-6' and right off the shore it is still about 4' and the LMB have made there homes under the shale (rocks) and up into the dirt. I have also had alot of luck fishing a green striped rat-l-trap. I think it is called tennesee shad color but i'm not sure.

Now unless your fishing a frog, buzzbait or a popper I wouldn't try to muchelse here. This fish in this lake are VERY finicky. SLOW your presentation and use large bait. If you get there there early morning buzzbaits have been key down at the d**n, and on into the next couple of coves on the far side of the lake (the right of the d**n if coming from the ramp...) I hope your staying with me haha. I know I jump from this to that but sorry.

One secret for you.... PM me and remind me about points...

I fish my lizards with no weight at all. There is no current in the lake and I think the bait falls more realistic without a weight, and plus I don't catch nearly as much grass that way. Fish the canal and the docks. Fish the grass ledge on the complete opposite side from where you launch your boat. To use as a point of reference there is an old trash bin out by the water and a recliner... Fish that ledge there about 10 ft from the shore it drops to about 11 ft. You could also try a finesesse worms everywhere they fish just like a senko!

I have had decent luck with a spinnerbait last year but haven't used one much this year. But a good place to start throwing it is on the left side where the rocks are high... if you don't know i'll send you a PM with my cell number and just call me and I'll try to do my best to help you land a big "en.

Now I just started using the rage tale shad and I have had limited success on it. But I've only thrown it a little bit. But as you already know the shad picks up grass like a buzzbait and after a while its a Pain in the AS*. But I have tried a Zara Spook there no luck.... I lost a couple of depdiving crank baits out there to some fallen trees that the sink.

There is a bunch of Christmas Trees that were sunk out there 2 years ago and they hold some nice bass all the time. Jig fish that area as much as you can!!! Make sure you use a small jighead but a large trailer like strike kings rage craws

Well if you have any Questions feel free to call me I will be sending you a PM with my number.

And Best of luck guys!!!! 8-)

Nitro, thanks dude.  I'm printing this thread and throwing it in my tackel box as you've provided some great info.  I'll let you know how we do and thanks for the pointers in the pm.  Sounds like we have a lot of options aside from what we already had planned.  I appreciate it buddy.

Nitro, thanks for the information on Germantown Lake.  I have printed this out and will bring it with us.  I am really hoping Jay can catch a hawg there tomorrow, that would make my day really special to see him get a new PB.  He gets so excited and it is really cool to be a part of it.

Well I hope ya'll have a blast!!! The next time ya'll are coming down this way holler at me and I'll see if I will be able to go with you and hopefully show you some of my good spots, if you can't find them from the descriptions.

Good Luck!!! 8-)

Got my camera in my car but I will grab it during lunch and get pics of the nicer fish on here then around four o' clock or so.  I will have a report for both Germantown and Lake Mercer up on my blog site (linked in my profile) before the end of the night if anyone is interested in what the fish are doing at these lakes.

I put together a good pattern at Mercer today though I only landed one keeper along with four dinks.  I also had a couple flash on a certain bait as well so I just need to experiment with colors and retrieves there.  I'm gonna try the same pattern at a different area of the lake (where the bigger fish are known to be) on Thursday and see if it all works out.  If so I'm hoping to have some bigger bucketmouths on my hook by the end of the day.  I have another thread open about Thursday in this section.  If you wanna join me respond there.

Germantwon was fun Saturday because I got to fish with the best fishing partner I could hope for.  We got on some fish, no hawgs but I had a great time anyways.  

Nitro, we boated 8. Only got 2 keepers out of the bunch, both early morning. Your topwater advice paid off as far as where to fish. We focused a lot of time on grass lines and ledges, some submerged grass but it was difficult to fish. We found the quick drop you spoke of but couldn't buy any there. The first cove to the right of the dam was best as we caught both keepers here, I lost another here and we probably would have caught more had we started our efforts here.

Anyway I didn't try out the lizards at all so that's one thing I would have done if I could go back and try again. Other than that we saw some guys on that spot by the chair you spoke of, mostly pulling up dinks. Weren't having luck catching keepers either. This lake is not the easiest place to fish. It got up to 96 degrees without the heat index and the water in the afternoon was 84. Whew! Talk about uncomfortable. I'm surprised we had as much luck as we did. Thanks for the info man. My blogs will be up by the end of the evening (linked in profile). Check em' out if you get the chance. I'll have specifics there.

Blog is finally up, sorry for the delay. Work has been crazy. Will have pictures up in a couple of hours as well as a report on Lake Mercer from yesterday.

Well just to let you know I have an open invatation for you and your dad whenever you want to come out to this lake. Now I don't know everything about this lake but I know enough to have a good time.

One problem I have always had on this lake is that it is public lake and everyone that comes to the lake always takes home fish which makes it extra hard to catch nice LMB.

But keep me in mind the next time you head out here and I'll try to go along. I wish I could have helped you out more.

I will be reading your blog as soon as you post it. 8-)