Sign in to follow this  
rondef

Night Fishing The Tidal Potomac Tributaries

Has anyone night fished the tidal Potomac? I am talking about the bays (Neabsco, Quantico, Powells, Aquia etc.) off of the main river. I am thinking about giving it a shot and was just wondering if anyone has had luck night fishing these areas.

Dad, let me know what nights you were thinking about and I may try and meet you out at Leesylvania since it is right down the road from my place.  Would be fun getting some top water action at the mouth of the creeks and in the bay areas.  

Especially Powells.  I have fished from shore back there by the bridge on a low tide and there are some NICE mats and plenty of spadderdock within reach.  Not to mention all the submerged pilings and wood we found on the bass boat.

Like I said, just let me know and maybe I can get Steph's mom to occupy her for an evening.  By "night fishing" what time were you thinking?  Because I think Leesylvania locks the gate at sunset.  Though we may be able to just put in at Neabsco and fish there too.  

You don't need a permit to night fish on the Potomac like the Occoquan do you?!?!?

I think if you talk to the ranger at leesylvania you can get a night permit. I remember them telling us that when we got our year launch pass.

I just got off the phone with one of the Leesylvania State Park Officials, she stated that you just have to register at the first building when you enter the park.   The reason for this is they know where you plan on fishing and they you need to provide them with information about the boat that you will be putting in the water.  She further stated that there is an automated gate for exiting the park so you can leave when ever you want.  Oh yeah I almost forgot, there is no fee for this if you have the one year launch and parking pass.

I just got off the phone with one of the Leesylvania State Park Officials, she stated that you just have to register at the first building when you enter the park. The reason for this is they know where you plan on fishing and they you need to provide them with information about the boat that you will be putting in the water. She further stated that there is an automated gate for exiting the park so you can leave when ever you want. Oh yeah I almost forgot, there is no fee for this if you have the one year launch and parking pass.

Yep, sounds like what they told us too. it's just been awhile. good luck out there!

I am thinking we should fish Powells Creek. We would have a little extra paddling to do to get to the creek from the first boat ramp but if we hug the shoreline we should be able to cruise over there quickly in the canoe. We would have to do this in the very near future due to Steph being due in September.

Dad, let me see what night and or nights I draw next week (the 4th - the 8th). I'll let you know and whatever nights I have free we can try and make this happen on. I will know in a few hours and post here or give you a call.  The person who does our schedule gets in at 12 today.

The other thing is we have to plan on the tides being right.  We need to fish a few hours before the high tide and a few hours after the high tide.  That way we do not get stuck back in the creek.