Sign in to follow this  
dcm

Shore/river spots in NoVa/Central Va/Southern MD

My father taught me to fly fish 5 or so years ago but with life/divorce getting in the way I never had a chance to fish around here. This year seemed like as good a time as any to change that.

Are there any good places within a 2-3 hour drive of Fairfax County

that would be a nice solitary place to spend the day? Fly fishing or spinner.  I run around Burke and Accotink a lot and there are usually dozens of folks hanging out there - not the kind of thing I'm hoping for.

Anyway, not looking for any big secret places or anything like that, not on here to troll that kind of information out of folks. Just looking for a nice getaway place that might be a reasonable drive or drive/hike away.

Thanks much.

- DC

Simonsays has been fly fishing around Nova lately.  Shoot him a pm or wait for him to respond and he may be able to toss you some ideas.  If you are interested in wading the Rappahannock in Fredericksburg can give you smallies and redear sunfish all day if you trek about 1/2 mile up from Falls Hill Avenue/River Rd.  Good fishing here.  Plenty of islands to stand on or rocks.

You might try getting a fishing permit for Quantico Marine Corp Base and fish some of their ponds, lakes and rivers. Quite a few of them are peaceful and are in beautiful settings and you will not see many people out there at all. You can buy a fishing permit at the entrance to Quantico (near the FBI Academy) exit 148 off of route 95. Go to the building on the left before the security checkpoint, the permits are $10 for one year.

to the forum.

I have a question about fishing the ponds in Quantico.  Do you need a military ID along with the license?  I've always wanted to check some of the ponds etc out but always figured a military ID was needed.  Thanks

No you just need to buy a Quantico fishing permit.  You will need to show them your license when you purchase your fishing permit.

How much is a permit to fish Quantico??

Send me a PM on where you live, style of fishing, boat or no boat and what your lookin to catch. I'll shoot you straight!

Only $10 for a one year permit.

Cool, thanks dude.

Has anyone fished Lake Omisol in a while?  I used to go there when I was younger and it was a good spot.  Haven't been there/heard anything about it in a while.  Is it still accessible?

When going through security on the Post do not make any jokes or say anything about anything.

Just stand there and shut up as they go through your car.

It will make life a lot easier.  :)