Sign in to follow this  
Pigsticker

Take Two Potomac/Mattawoman/Chickamuxen Report 8/27

Went out again with My neighbor/buddy He has had some knee problems and mainly is letting me go with him to back the truck down and do the dirty work but I am not complaining ;)

Started 6:30 am today(wed) on a high tide so before it moved out we went to the way back of chickamuxen. My neighbor after toying with a frog and buzzbait, began to catch fish after fish on a lucky craft gunfish

Then switched back the buzzbait and started catching some. I was throwing a horrny toad,rage tail shad,small swimbait with only two very light swipes at the swimbait :-? got a little more action on the swimbait but not much more

Kept fishing and my buddy kept wacking them no size all dinks .5-1.5 lbs on the gunfish and he lost a couple, Went farther back in Chickamuxen to a stretch of wood I flipped a rage tail craw with a 1/4oz tungsten weight to the wood with no bites and my buddy caught 1 more on the gunfish then switched to a white/chartruese spinnerbait and caught Two more super dinks(less than a pound) on our way out, It is close to 11:30 by now, My partner has 21 give or a take a couple in the boat all dinks but still cool, I on the other hand was dying for a bite, We had some grass stuck on the motor and took me awhile to get it off the motor but we went of to mattawoman about 12:15

First cast on a grass mat with a Gambler Canetoad in fire tiger yielded a nice 20" bass, I was feeling pretty good sticking it, probably was around 3.5

No more bites for the day,Fished till 3 then gunned it home to rest ;)

We did worse than 2 weeks ago even though we(he) caught more fish and I caught the biggest on out of both the trips he landed maybe 3 keepers his biggest was 2lbs

so we might have weighed in four keepers for 8 pounds compared to two weeks ago we had between 12-13lbs for 5 fish Doesn't matter much though still two good days of fishing

It was real brisk today never got above 80 breezy and cloudy all day I caught my big fish right when it started drizziling

Topwater was going til 12:30 but on a regular day a chugbug/gunfish SHOULD work til 9 or so spinnerbait the rest of day if you just want to catch fish

frog and swimbait for larger fish, even though I didnt catch a bass on the swimbait today I had a few follows in chickamuxen and had a bass hit it two feet from the boat(happened last time I was out) but didnt take it well enough :(

good fish to you all :)

Steven

Sounds like a fun day. I am surprised you could not find a bite on the Rage Tail. They performed well for my son and I in Mattawoman.

Sounds like a fun day. I am surprised you could not find a bite on the Rage Tail. They performed well for my son and I in Mattawoman.

The question is have they produced in the past couple of days?

Surprised?? They are just baits, good baits, but there are no "magic baits". Although the gambler cane toad is one of the best toads I have used, they also make KILLER 10inch ribbontail worms just wish they made um bigger ;)

What kind of swimbait?

Anytime on the water is a good time. I have yet to fish any of the Potomac.