Sign in to follow this  
eddieinva

Fishing the Occ or Fountainhead Sunday 9/7

First question-  

Does the weather from a hurricane affect fish bites??  This may sound stupid.. but who knows..  Sunday is slated for good weather.. but i think fri and sat should be rain..  

Any help would be appreciated..

Weather fronts, approaching and passing, do have their effects on fish.  I'm not the one to speak on that though.  What I do know is that the Occoquan takes a lot of water from a lot of tributaries and is greatly effected by runoff water from all the surrounding paved surfaces.  Thus, in a large rain event you will see drastic rises of water levels in a short period of time.  This increases sediment load and the water becomes very stained, not to mention all the woody debris that gets swept up and floated down steam.  

The forecast is now calling for heavy rain and strong winds on Saturday so don't count on any good fishing on Sunday.  Friday on the other hand may prove to be excellent.  

The forecast is now calling for heavy rain and strong winds on Saturday so don't count on any good fishing on Sunday. Friday on the other hand may prove to be excellent.

x2

ok..  that news puts a SERIOUS damper on my weekend..  I even went to fountainhead/occ today  to check out the launch areas..  figured we would launch from fountainhead..

I need a miracle to happen..  I need..NO RAIN. or light rain.. >:(

I need a miracle to happen.. I need..NO RAIN. or light rain.. >:(

Um, 3-6 inches of rain is forecasted.  Don't think of even getting a line wet till at least next Thursday.  I will most likely be out Friday afternoon, let you all know how it goes.

Well well well, looks like rain  ;) I love fishing after that place has been rained on, when it is cloudy, or it IS raining. It is usually at it's best then. Tournament day on Sunday, theres tons of boats out so launching can be a hassle sometimes. I'll be there at around 5:15 ready to go.

Good luck, and see you out there.