Sign in to follow this  
kiko13

Want to talk SNAKEHEADS??

The Coastal Conservation Association of Northern Virginia is pleased to announce an upcoming meeting with guest speaker John Odenkirk! Meeting is open to the public!

John is a Fisheries Biologist with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. His official duties cover all of Northern Virginia waters, both private and public, making him the most knowledgeable person in the state regarding Northern Virginia fisheries. John is also the point person in the Northern Snakehead controversy. His presentation will focus on the Northern Snakehead Tracking Project and the current status of the Snakehead, one of the most prolific species in the river.

He will also touch on the status of the fisheries on all other bodies of water in the Northern Virginia area.

Date: Wednesday, September 17th

Time : 7- 9 PM - Guest Speaker - John Odenkirk and also discussion of upcoming Chapter trips and the fall fishing season

Location: Grace Presbyterian Church, 2381 Cedar Lane, Vienna, VA 22180

Directions from 495 Beltway:

- Take Exit 51 Gallows Road

- Turn left on Gallows Road (VA 651) -go 3.1 miles

- Turn left on Idylwood Road(VA 678) - go .4 mile

- Turn left on Cedar Lane (VA - 698) - go .3 miles

- 2381 Cedar Lane is on left

WELCOME KIKO!!!! Glad to see you on this forum now!

If it wasn't a weeekday I'd try and make it out. Don't think I'll be able to make it with my work schedule. Do you have any experience with snakeheads?

Andrew

Hey Andrew!

I do not have experiance with snakeheads....yet. A couple of us have been talking about using our kayaks to hunt them down...using a fly rod!  :o I'm not sure if this will happen soon but it's in the works!

Ernie

Kiko welcome to the forum. What tracking? The last six snakeheads that I caught I reported to VDGIF they told me not to call about them anymore. I don't know how they can be tracking them when they will not take down information from people that call.

Using a fly rod? I don't think you will be able to pull them in with that. They fight really hard and you need a strong rod and braid if you are going after them. Trust me, I have caught my fair share of them and I wouldn't use anything short of 3olb braid and a seven foot medium heavy rod, just my personal opinion.

rondef,

Thanks!

I will ask about the tracking. I know that Odenkirk is VERY interested in these guys.

I hear you about strong tackle. We plan on using 9 or 10 wt salt water fly rods....have caught 30 lb stripers with them!

Ernie

I'm down for snakeheads + kayaks! I wish I could make the time to visit that meeting also, I'd think it'd be a great resource for info on them.

Ernie and a fly rod is no joke! If he can handle bluefish and their teeth, i'm sure snakeheads shouldn't be a problem. :)

Let me know when you guys decide to go out. I'm very interested in it. I've wanted to for awhlie but lack the courage to take my kayak on bodies of water I'm not familiar with or with large boats present.

Andrew,

I hear you on the big boats. If this plan ever comes to bear, we can always take my 21' CC and drag or carry the yaks to the shallow water.

Ernie

Hey Ernie, Welcome!

I wish I could go but I'm back at school now.

If people catch tarpon on fly rods then I'm sure you can catch snakeheads with them.

I actually just enrolled in "The Science of Fly Fishing" here at school. The class fulfills my lab science requirement!

WTH DAN! I never had a class like that offerred to me! you lucky guy! I'd fail that final on purpose to retake it. :P

yeah, I was very excited when I saw it. Instead of taking something like Chemistry of physics with a lab, I can take a basic high school type science class along with the fly fishing class. Needless to say, that was an easy decision.

Wow...VCU needs classes like that...I've been waiting 3 years to take BIO 503 - Fish Biology...and not nearly as cool as fly fishing...which i still need alot more practice...less I want more hooks in the neck  :'(

I actually just enrolled in "The Science of Fly Fishing" here at school. The class fulfills my lab science requirement!

Incredible....taking fly fishing as a college course! But be careful, fly fishing is addictive and EXPENSIVE!

Ernie

yeah, I know Ernie. I've been wanting to learn for a while though and I figure this is the perfect way to get started. Any recommendations on what I need to get started or what rod/reel configurations or brands I should be looking at?

Any recommendations on what I need to get started or what rod/reel configurations or brands I should be looking at?

Go see the Brian & Colby Trow at Mossy Creek in H-burg. They can show you the loot. Basically there is trout & pan fishing fishing using 2-3-4 wt rods, bass fishing using 5-6-7-8 wt rods and then the big stuff for salt (9 through 14 wts).

That class will teach you a ton!

I like medium priced rods from:

St. Croix (Legends, Avids)

Reddington (CPS)

Scott (S2)

Diamondback (Aeroflex)

Orvis (TLS, T3 etc)

Of course, Sage, Winston & Loomis are top shelf.

A friend of mine likes Powell and March Brown and they can be picked up at a nice price from Sierra Trading.

But there is so much more..... :o

Spend money on the rod and skimp on the reel....IF you are going for smaller fish (non salt). Once you go to big fish and salt, you need a good reel too. You will find out that most reels for fly fishing are nothing more than line holders as one brings in a fish using the line. Of course there are may that will tell you to get the fish "on the reel" but that's another story.

Ernie

Let me know if any of you guys are coming to the event tomorrow night, I will be on the lookout for you.

Ernie

I was on Aquia Creek this Sunday, in the hot sun and wind, and never hooked into a Snakehead.

I wanted to hook a Snakehead to have a fun fight, but no luck.

The other guys fishing the tournament did not catch any, either.

Slow day fishing but I caught 8 anyway.

Nothing to brag about.  :)