Sign in to follow this  
mudkart

Shenandoah

I'd like to ask the VA (and other local) guys and perhaps gals, in an effort to shift discussion to legal areas to fish ;), about the Shenandoah.  Specifically, any knowledge about the South Fork would be appreciated, but I'm open to any information.  I'm taking my sons (5 and 7) camping/fishing this weekend and I'm trying to decide on a site to go.  I've had some recommendations for Shenandoah river outfitters near Luray.  We camped and fished this spring at Low Water Bridge campground in Bentonville/Front Royal and had a good time, caught some smallies and catfish, but, I'd like to try some different water.

I have camped at two places along the river, once outside of Luray near the Shenandoah River Outfitters and a few times at Shenandoah River State Park in Bentonville. The camping outside of Luray is very basic. From what I understand it is a pretty popular party area for younger people on the weekends. For the most part, the water is flat and slow, which is better for Largemouth and carp than smallmouth.  The Shenandoah River State Park ("Andy Guest" State Park) in Bentonville has very nice facilities (they also have a site fee). They have individual campsites that are gravel areas where you can pitch tents. They have an outhouse type bathroom and lots of grills/gazebos. The river in that area is MUCH rockier and thus better for smallmouth. The best way to fish it is by wading which can be hard because of the large and sharp bedrock. It makes great smallmouth hiding places but it also makes wading much slower and easier to fall.

I've fished many other places on the South Fork but most of them are pretty far South down near Harrisonburg.

I used to pull a all day canoe trip from the low water to about 3/4 of the way to rt50.......40+ fish and my buddy  hooked a huge musky and failed to land it. He did land a really nice walleye. I'll try to get some info for you. Have you thought about river bend park or algokian?? Close to home.

Are you bringing a boat/canoe/ or waders?

Great fishing in front royal off 66 exit 6 to the right behind walmart is a golf course with boat ramp.  Also exit 6 toward Winchester on the left is lake frederick 110 acres.  Or you can explore some of the north fork in Woodstock Area (of 81) 20 minutes south wading in at any point a bridge crosses the river.  

This place has a excellent trout stream and is very clean.

Creekside Campground

www.creeksidecampgroundva.com

108 Palmyra Rd, Edinburg - (540) 984-4299

Or you can charter out a fishing trip with me....

I am available next weekend ;)

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1196352907/0#0

Thanks for the replies.  In response to some questions, no canoe or floats, I've got two small boys to deal with, so, IMO, a jon boat would be a better alternative. I've taken them out in jons at Pohick and Burke and it works OK.  Most likely we'll be bank fishing, that's why Shenandoah River Outfitters is attractive: it appears there is a lot of shoreline to fish there on the western bank.

Also, I've got waders but the boys do not (anybody have suggestions were to find such small waders? I've been skunked looking for them).  

I posted a report in the tournaments/outings section...