Sign in to follow this  
Mike 12345

Looking for a good LMB lake in the Destin/Panhandle area

Does anyone happen to know if there are any good lakes or ponds to fish in the Destin area?  I'll be around there sometime between March and June for the family vacation, and would like to try out the area if anyone has any suggestions-

Thanks

I do not think there are any large lakes in the area, but you may want to look at google maps for some ponds and rivers. You may want to check out Blackwater river.   I don't know how set you are on bass fishing, but cobia fishing is REALLY hot during this time. They can be caught along the beaches and from piers.

If you have a boat you can check out Black Creek. There is a boat ramp available at Black Creek Lodge in Freeport.

Juniper Lake near Defuniak Springs is also a decent lake to fish. There are a couple of public parks on the lake where you can bank fish or fish from the piers. Public boat ramps are also available at the parks.

Another suggestion is Topsail Hill Preserve which is a state park in Santa Rosa Beach. They have several fresh water ponds available for bank fishing. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm going to real soon (just be sure you have a valid FL fishing license since its a state park).

One more suggestion....Sandestin Resort has a lot of golf course ponds around the property that are available for residents and guests to fish. I see people fishing those ponds all the time in the spring and summer months. If you happen to be staying there (or at a similar golf resort) during your vacation, bring your tackle!!

If nothing else, grab some heavy spinning tackle and some cut bait and go to the beach and surf fish for whatever happens to be biting (just watch out for the swimmers).

Have fun and enjoy your stay here. And be sure to post a report to let us know where you fished and how you did. If you find any good spots other than the ones I mentioned, I need to know about them! ;D

Thanks guys for the info. TrailerHook, Topsail is actually where I will be staying.  I've seen the ponds before on previous visits, just have not gotten any info whether they hold bass or not.  Guess I'll have to find out!