Sign in to follow this  
5bass

Logan Martin

Whats going on down there? We have a boardmember (Thad) fishing a college tournament this coming weekend and he's looking for a few tips as he's never been on the lake and didn't have a whole lot of notice about going to do much research. Can anybody help him out?  

If you leave lakeside and go downriver there are some decent humps and stups that hold fish all year.  The water level down there is pretty decent as it is closer to the dam.  If you go up river, there is a flat around poorhouse that is good, just watch your electronics.  If you choose to go up river at all, make sure you check a map first.  It gets really shallow really quick on some of the sand bars.  Check out Chocoloca Creek and any grass you might be able to find around there.  You might still be able to get them on a swimjig around then

Gatorblazer,

I appreciate the info...its news to me and its a little different then what ive been researching. Thanks for the heads up on the sand bars as well...weigh in will be at the marina i beleive at 3:30 on friday and saturday...come on by and check out what us college kids can haul in

I must teach you college kids something, most of us old folk work on Fridays  :'(   I miss school.

Bass Pro Shop in Leeds (10 miles west of Logan) just opened today so you can either go there or Lucky's which is towards Pell City on 431.  STAY AWAY FROM THE BIG BULL!  Nothing good happens there.  If you still there on Sunday, the chinease buffet is the best place to eat in PC

Thad is fishing for Radford University (Va)

Thanks for the responses guys....keep it coming.

I appreciate it five.bass.limit and the rest of you guys. We're sitting in the hotel right now getting our stuff together. We got here about an hour ago. It's 3:18 here and we're getting up at 5:30, so going on little sleep. Hope we have a good practice today. I'll let you guys know how we do.

Thanks

I haven't had much time to post but to say the least, it was a learning experience. During practice we found a pattern that was around 10lbs and we didn't really think it was enough but it was all we had. So on the first day we went with it and ended up with 4 fish at 6lbs and some change. We lost one near the end that was in the 3 to 4 lb range. The leader that day had 13 something. That night we were talking to some local people and started hearing about stuff way up the river. We knew we were a long shot to win without some big fish so we went up river to find some bigger fish. We fished it for about 2 hours. I broke off on 17lb flouro but that was the only bite we got up there. As soon as my partner decided he wanted to go back down the lake our other team found the shad and caught a quick limit. When we got to the same place we fished the day before we did catch several but only two kept.

This was our first tournament together, my partner and I, and it was the first one on a lake we had never fished. No excuses though, I'm extremely competitive and came in to win it. My partner was happy beating our other team, so we have some mental things to change for the next tournament. We learned a lot, like don't look too hard into what you hear from local guides and what not. Get a general idea from them and fish your strengths. I'll also never go somewhere I'm not familiar with during the actual tournament.

Looking back I'm really not satisfied with how hard "we" fished though. I know this was my partners first tournament but to drive 800 miles we have to get more serious. But it's hard to say anything when you're fishing out of their boat.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to talk to them about it I'm all ears. Are there any videos out there of team tournaments?

That is the frustration of team tourney's.  My thought is, as long as you are sharing expenses and winnings, you both have equal say in what to do.  If you dont like each other, swap teams.  It may be that you two just cant fish together, doesnt mean your not friends or dont like each other.  

He's a good fisherman and he enjoyed the tournament and I guess that's what counts, for most anyways. I have been playing sports my whole life, I played football in college for my first two years before getting hurt. I now coach high school football and fish for my college's club, both for the competition. Fishing is perfect for my desire of winning, I have been fishing since I was two and have enjoyed the sport just as much as all the others I've played but ever since I've felt the rush of tournament fishing it has taken over all other passions in my life. To some it may seem bad but it isn't enough for me anymore to just go catch fish. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing, but nothing compares to winning a tournament. It sounds dumb but I really feel like the saying in Talladega Nights, "If you ain't first you're last."

So it's hard finding someone with my desire in our area.

Not sure what you're talking about. If you're talking about a restaurant out budget was the dollar menu.

Big Bull was the hotel next to to Lakeside, the steakhouse was a cheap small restaraunt on 231.  if you didnt check them out, you did ok.  Nasy little places.

Thad,

Hey man dont feel bad about what those alabama boys did to all of us...this is going into our second year fishing those awesome alabama lakes...and the teams from alabama are always the teams to be beat!!! dont let it get you down ...just take it as a learning experience and learn everything you can from finding fish to boat positioning to time management on the water...i thought i was good and knew what i was doing before I started fishign he series last year...man I cant tell you how much ive learned and it never stops and I know it never will...thats the great thing about our sport...and youre not crazy about tourney fishing taking over your life...the only thing that has a bigger spot in my life is God and my family...

we weighed in 5.58 first day and my truck broke the next morning before launch so I had to stay behind and get that fixed before I headed out for day two...my partner fished with another one of our boats who didnt have anyone else so it worked out...i ended up getting on the water at 10 and caught 5 solid fish on a deeper bank with blow downs...weighed 10.04 second day...i was stoked about it considering my adversities the first thing in the morning...

Just take this year as a learning curve and elarn as much as you can...dont listen to all that dock talk...it can be misleading and send you on a wild goose chase wasting many valuable hours... and go with your research and gut instinct!!! send me a PM or look me up on faceook if you ever wanna chat about fishing...the name is Kyle Giella...Georgia Southern Univ

Gator blazer,

the Bull was out of business thankfully!! thanks for the help though about the lake!!

Thanks man, I added you on facebook. Yea it was our first tournament on waters we've never fished before. We learned a lot and really look forward to this coming season.

Hey Thad,

I'm glad to hear that yall are getting into the college tournaments. Are yall gonna be in the Southern Collegiate Series next semester? I'm with Troy University and we'll be returning for our second round at this series. Look out for ole Kyle. That guy can fish with the best of em. I'm gonna be a little scared when they finally move a tournament over there to his part of Georgia. These tournaments are an amazing learning experience that it gives you the chance to see how those top teams work out on the water. I hope to meet ya in January.

Justin Mott

Yes, we're fishing the series. We were told that we had to fish 2 of the 3 to qualify for the championship and since it costs so much for us we are going to skip the first one on Neely-Henry. We will be at the rest though. Look forward to seeing you down there.

Thad-

I'm the President of the club at Freed-Hardeman University. We helped Jann Swaim (Auburn's advisor) put together the Southern Series last year. It is an awesome series and I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of it. We look forward to competing against you guys this spring. We didn't make it to the fall classic due to scheduling issues, but will be at all the tournaments in the spring! Anyway-if you have any questions hit me up on facebook. See you on the water-

Tyler