lure junkie

bass fishing near st. pete beach

i'll be flying down to attend the superbowl next thursday. our place is in  st.pete beach, is there something  relatively close and fishable from shore as far as bass fishing goes or am i better off with a saltwater excursion? we simply don't get down that too often and would very much like to try and maximize this rare chance. again thanx in advance for any advice or input.

I guess that depends on what you consider relatively close. The best place that I know of that has decent bank access and good quality fishing is a place called Walsingham Reservoir in Largo. You can fish from the bank all the way around it and you won't be wasting your time wondering if you will catch any fish. It is a catch and release only impoundment when it comes to bass. My personal best at this site is 4.5 lbs, but friends of mine have caught even bigger up to 8 and 9 lbs. So there are definitely fish there.

12615 102nd Ave. N.

Largo FL 33778

Phone: 727.549.6142

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/maps/color/location/walsingham.pdf

This map will give you an idea as to where it is located in relation to St. Pete Beach.

Welcome to Pinellas County and good luck with the fishing. Hope you enjoy your stay!!!

Following up on this question. I'm down here with my bass boat at my uncle's in saint Pete's. Was going to drive to Harris chain but the two hour drive is a bit discouraging. Any advice would be great! Fishinf out of a 18.5' bass boat with a 150, for whatever that's worth. 

Closest is Lake Tarpon. Very crowded though. Good for those who know it. Would suggest Rainbow/Withalacoochee river in Dunnellon. If you have ever seen Glen Lau's film " Big Mouth Forever ", the Rainbow is where most of it was filmed. Check it out

Any recommended boat ramp? Just took a quick look at the video and I'm intrigued .

Ramp in downtown Dunnellon on the main drag thru the little town where it crosses the river. Right in front of City Hall I believe. It's idle only in the Rainbow and for about a mile both upstream and downstream in the Withalacooche from the ramp. Going downstream on the Withalacooche takes you to Lake Rousseau. Huge fish but is a jungle with logs and vegetation. Do NOT run outside the channel on plane.