Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

NC pond bassin

Im making a trip down to North Carolina with a friend to do some pond fishing from April 5 to the 14.  

Last year I made this trip from March 22 to the 30.  I caught most of my bass on lizards.

Since it is a little later do you guys have any suggestions.  

Thanks

I like weightless Senkos and Ragetail Craws. Hollow frogs and buzzbaits early and late and even in between.

8-)

I usually fish a few ponds down In Pender county throughout the year and I've always had good luck In the Spring with 4" Zoom dead ringers.....Green pumpkin, watermellonseed, and pb&j have been the best colors for me.

The post-spawn topwater bite should be in full swing if the weather is right. I like throwing walk-the-dog type bait a bait that moves some water like a Gunfish 95 in the Ghost Sunfish color. Senkos and RC 1.5 cranks are also great during that time of year.

I agree with Jake.  I like the good old Original Floating Rapala, size 9 in silver.  If I could only fish with one lure the rest of my life, that would be my choice.

The bass still seemed to be deep in the ponds I fished, with this 1

week difference should I expect anything different?

What type of pond was it and where in the state? Usually the bass ae done spawnig or near the end of the process by late March/early April. That's strange that they would still be deep that late in the spring, unless they had spawned early and already moved out.

What type of pond was it and where in the state? Usually the bass ae done spawnig or near the end of the process by late March/early April. That's strange that they would still be deep that late in the spring, unless they had spawned early and already moved out.

It is actually in the Outer Banks.  I shouldn't have said they were deep, they were not shallow but they were starting to move up.

It is about half the size of a football field and about 10 feet deep in the middle. It is full of dinks with a few abnormally larger ones. It has a little bit of sand in it and a weed edge that extends a few feet from the bank.

The most difficult part of all is I can't figure out the primary forage in it. It was stalked a few years ago, (in a new house plan) but I havent seen a single bluegill or crawfish. I'm thinking they stocked bluegill and they just got wiped out.

Thanks Jake

It is actually in the Outer Banks.

It is about half the size of a football field and about 10 feet deep in the middle. It is full of dinks with a few abnormally larger ones. It has a little bit of sand in it and a weed edge that extends a few feet from the bank.

The most difficult part of all is I can't figure out the primary forage in it. It was stalked a few years ago, (in a new house plan) but I havent seen a single bluegill or crawfish. I'm thinking they stocked bluegill and they just got wiped out.

Thanks Jake

Well the Outer Banks are usually warm year round so I bet they spawn in early to mid March.

Thanks Jake

Well the Outer Banks are usually warm year round so I bet they spawn in early to mid March.

It was also cold all week last year so it may be different.

Besides topwaters, what other lures (preferably soft plastics) would you recommend?

Thanks

Thanks Jake

It was also cold all week last year so it may be different.

Besides topwaters, what other lures (preferably soft plastics) would you recommend?

Thanks

For soft plastics, I like the GYCB Kreature, Netbait Paca Craws, and Zoom Baby Brush Hogs just to name a few. I know they aren't soft plastics, but shallow cranks should also do well.

What do you catch your quality, bigger bass on?

This is my last question guys ;D any recommendations?

5" Senkos, 10" Powerworms, Cavitron Buzzbait.

What do you catch your quality, bigger bass on?

This is my last question guys ;D any recommendations?

5" Senkos, 10" Powerworms, Cavitron Buzzbait.

Thank you, i'll consider some of these