Sign in to follow this  
JonnyBoy

Virginia Fisherman

I like talking to many other fisherman of all different styles and prefferences, so this is a good way to start. Where do you most prefer to fish? What size fish have you been landing lately? And last but not least, whats ur favorite "season" to hit the water in?

To start off the discussion i really dont have a season preference, catching fish anytime is great!. This year my first real attempts at winter fishing has challenged me and i am beginning to really like it. I most prefer lakes and ponds, rivers never yield much for me in my area and i've seen an average size of 12 - 16 inch fish so far...tho not bad, to me they are only shadows of the one i hope to land this year!

I prefer to fish small lakes/ponds. Or if I can get into some coves or points.  Since I am bank bound i think it is easyest for me, since I can leave the waters with pretty good sucess.

As far as season I really got into bass fishing(prefer catching) this will be my very first season, an have learn a ton here, an cant wait to wet a line.

My average fish last year was in the 2lb area with a hand full of 5+ lbs. Being in the Marines, I travel alot, but rarely ever go anywhere without a rod.

memo

Last season my biggest catch was a 6lb 8oz, but on average i was probably close to the 2lb range like urself. I didnt get to go much last season and that kind of disappointed me, but this season im trying a little winter fishing as well as gearing up for what i hope to be a good season. I plan to enter a few local tournaments, more or less a bunch of guys who get together, throw money in a pot and hold 1-3 place prizes. Im confident of a good seasos. :)

I've been fishing my whole life, but just in the last year or so I've started to use different types of tackle just other than a pre-texas-rigged worm from walmart haha. My biggest last year was a 4.5 lb out of a local lake, and a ton of 2-3 lbers around the area. I learned how to use a baitcast in the past couple of months and hopefully I slay em with it.

Ponds

Rivers

Reservoirs

Lakes

Any where within 100 miles of Richmond, which takes me from Gaston and Kerr down to Nottoway and up to the Potomac, with ponds, rivers and lakes in between.

mostly lakes and ponds in the richmond area with a decent amount of sucess throwing anything immaginable.  last year landed a decent 10lb bass on a chatterbait while lake fishing.  any chance i get i travel to reservoirs and rivers with little sucess though   :-/

any good spots around richmond?

last year landed a decent 10lb

yeah....:-X

I'm a river fisherman, smallmouth are the target usually.  Where I fish the rivers are pretty small, I'm usually wading or in a canoe.  2 biggest last year were both caught in the same day, in September, on a floating Rapala F9 (i think that's the right #) 4 lb 8 oz. and 5 lbs 6 oz.   I'd say my average was 1.5 lbs or so.  I seem to do best in the fall, but I fish year round as much as I can.

I'll fish anytime of the year I get a chance.  I like fishin rivers and creeks in the shenandoah valley between harrisonburg and winchester for the most part.  I'll go to lakes and reservoirs on occasion but enjoy moving water much more.  Gotta love goin after smallmouth in the rivers.