Sign in to follow this  
slomoe

Third times a charm......First fish of the year

Well after my third trip out since it started getting warmer, I finally hooked into something. I headed out to the reservoir in Ashburn around 8:00. I started at the dam and worked my way back to more shallow water as the day got warmer. Caught my first one right around 12:30 on a megabass cyclone, and about an hour later this one ate a 1/4 ounce jig with a tiny brush hog trailer.

IMG_3159.jpg

Hope everyone else took advantage of the nice weather. Tight lines. ;)

How is that place for walking the bank? I heard it was difficult and there are a lot of ticks.

Yes!

The bass are becoming active in Virginia.

Great story and pics, Slomoe.

Weather this week is going to be poor but I am hopeful it will get warmer, and stay that way, after Easter.  :)

How is that place for walking the bank? I heard it was difficult and there are a lot of ticks.

The leaves on the trees and plants haven't started growing much yet so its not too bad. Once you get off of the beaten path though, you may have to deal with some nasty thorn bushes.

As for the ticks, I did find a few on me. Not as bad as it was last fall.

Nice fish...a heck of a good way to start off this year's season!  Congrats!

I heard that Loudoun County has an extremely high number of ticks. Be careful and watch for symptoms of lyme disease. If it goes undetected too long it can really mess you up.

True that, thanks for the heads up. I've been lazy and I should be taping up my pant legs at least. I'm pretty good about looking for them when I get home. I believe it takes up to 24 hours for the transmission to occur, So it's the tiny nymphs you gotta be careful of. They're really hard to see sometimes.

Yup, the big ones are easy enough to spot but some ticks are nearly invisible. I have found that spraying my legs with DEET seems to help. I carry it in my tackle bag so I have it wherever I go.