Sign in to follow this  
LCpointerKILLA

How do you work your swim jig?

I have heard through the grapevine that swimming jigs are popular. I was wondering how to work them.

Hmmm difficult to explain easy to show. This might be of no relavence to you if you havent fished a fished a grub, but i fish them exactly like one of mister twisters old fashioned twisty tailed grubs

A More technical sounding way is to let the jig fall on slack line then reel in while gently lifting and dropping the rod tip and every now and then stop and let the swim jig sit on the bottom

hope this helps

I hope this doesn't come across as smart arse or anything, but swimming a jig is just like presenting any other lure. You will need to experiment with several different presentations on any given day depending on the weather, forage, fish mood, depth, cover, structure, wind, water color, etc etc etc etc.

Some days you can swim it high in the water column, others you will need to "slow roll" it or swim and drop it. Zillions of presentations are possible for a jig. A swimming jig is no different.

Example: two weeks ago I caught fish swimming the jig parallel to laydowns and grass clumps. I stopped it to let it fall and boom strikes. The same day in another area I was burning the jig just under the surface and catching fish. The next day in the same area I was slow rolling it with the occasional pause pop pause pop and my best 5 weighed almost 20 lbs (lost the biggest fish that broke my jig hook, saw her well, easily 6 maybe 8 lbs).

So experiment. Everyday is different. There is no presentation blue print for any lure.

So sometimes you can just reel it pretty steady and pop it here and there for a little action? I mean you don't necessarily have to "jig" it up and down?

You didnt come off as a smart arse, natalex since i think you are talking about swimming a jig not a Swim Jig. totally different :)

LC, I would say generally you work a swim jig faster than a regular jig and not let it sit around too much.  Your right , you reel with a few pops every now and then try shad or parrot colors(yellow white, and blue) and make it look like a bait fish.

You didnt come off as a smart arse, natalex since i think you are talking about swimming a jig not a Swim Jig. totally different :)

LC, I would say generally you work a swim jig faster than a regular jig and not let it sit around too much.  Your right , you reel with a few pops every now and then try shad or parrot colors(yellow white, and blue) and make it look like a bait fish.

thats what I was looking for

I've had success w/ the steady retrieve method recently. Caught a bass w/ a steady retrieve mixed with very small twitches to bounce the jig through the water, never letting it rest on the bottom.  Very different from just letting them sink and jigging from there.  Mix it up and find what works for the fish you're targeting.