Sign in to follow this  
HydrillaKilla

Please Pardon My Ignorance But.....

i have sorta been out of the "bass" scene for the past 3-4 years due to the fact that while bass fishing one day on lake texoma we ran into a school of stripers surfacing and i absolutly fell in love with fishing for them every since. with gas prices the way they are im going to have to start fishing lakes closer to home so im kinda catching up on all the new bass stuff out there so im sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

my question - is a "drop shot rig" pretty much the same as a "shaky head" rig??  if not, what is the difference?

thanks for your help

robbie

IMO, there is a world of difference between the two. I think alot of it has to do with the mood the fish are in.

The shaky rig seems more effective when the fish are on a bottom bite. They are low in the water column and are feeding down. If they are even a few feet of the bottom, it's gonna be tough to keep it in there face and the only chance you have of getting them to bite is when it goes flying past there face on the way to the bottom.

The dropshot rig is more of a pin point way of catching them. I've caught most of my fish on this rig when the fish are suspended and looking up. you can drop it right on there heads using your electronics, or you can adjust your leader length to hit the proper zone in the water column where the fish are and fan cast the rig. Most of my fish on the DS rig have come from casting it out and slowly shaking it at 1 - 2ft off the bottom.

Even though I throw the shaky head more, I really believe that if you get good with the dropshot, you will catch more big fish. Big females are obese and want an easy meal. Most guys throw out a shaky head, shake it a few times while racing it across the bottom, and then reel it in. With a dropshot, you can keep it in one place and have the opportunity to dead stick the worm or shake it until its tail falls off......which one do you think big mom is gonna want?

Good luck and glad to hear your back into bass :)

I understand about the striper though. Usually in the winter, I am all striper while there biting good at Lake Lanier

thank you men for your help. one last question...

what weight shaky head do you use the most. im sure wind plays a factor in it but on the average which size do you use the most?

thanks again

robbie

I like to use a 3/32 oz from 0-10ft and then move up to a 1/8oz if I need to get deeper.  The only time I ever use a heavier jighead is if it is extremely windy or I need to cover alot of water.  Then I go to the 1/4oz Buckeye Lures Spotremover

use the lightest weight jig you can get away with