Sign in to follow this  
Avalonjohn44

Rage Tail Shad vs Lunker City Salad Spoon

I was wondering how this lure would compare to the Lunker City Salad Spoon.  While a little different in design, both are made to do the same thing, sit high and churn the water, over and through the slop... I have had excellent luck with the Salad Spoon, and feel a loyalty to that little known lure, as dopey as that sounds... Is there anyone that has tried both and can offer an opinion???

Never heard of the Salad Spoon before.  I went to the Lunker City website to see it.  It looks like it may stay on top at a slower retrieve speed than the Rage Tail.  The Rage Tail will, I think, make a bigger ruckus than the Salad Spoon.  Just my $.02.

Yeah, I can go pretty slow with the salad spoon, but it can be burned like the rage tail too...

www.ragetail.com has video action of Rage Tail Shad action. Somewhat different than salad spoon and can run slow as well with much more racket

Big O

Hi Big-O, I was waiting for you to respond.   :)  I've watched several of the videos, and am excited about the baits, I just got four packs of the Rage Shad at Gander, along with some Shad-a-licious in three different colors (couldn't find sexy shad though   :'( ).  I have to wait to compare the shad and the salad spoon though, most of my ponds are still too cold for the topwater bite, but I can't wait to side by side compare them.  They have a different look/profile, but seem to have a very similar action & I'm interested to see the differences... Have you tried the salad spoon?  Aside from what you've said, how do the two baits compare?  Do you think the salad spoon is more subtle than the rage tail, or can I work the rage tail slowly enough to where it barely gurgles and entices a lesser active bass to strike?  Does it float?  Or does it have a slow fall rate like the salad spoon?  And how does it come across the top of mats of scum that VA ponds are famous for?  I'm not trying to slam your baits or anything, as I said, I've already bought 4 rage tail shad packs, as well as two packs of toads, and two packs of craws and can't wait to use them, I'm just stuck at work, with no fishing in the immediate future, and just have a lot of questions... Thanks!

Take a break from your cold weather and water situation John, and come on down here to good ole Texas lakes for a change. We are starting to gin on the topwater activity now and could use your help "Feeding all these fish top water baits".

Yes I have used the salad spoon before and it is definitely a quiet bait compared to Rage Shad. Rage Shad isn't a floating plastic but stays on top at extremely slow retrieves and wobbling action increases as retrieve speed decreases. Has a slow fall rate sitting still.  Even with heavier swimbait hooks the Shad will run on top just fine and it adds variety to the sound and action recieved.

The Shad is adjustable or tuneable as well, kinda like tuning a buzzbait or spinnerbait. To make it quieter, just stretch the sharp bend in the tail where the small reinforced area is (careful not to tear plastic) and the bait is more subtle. The warmer the water and outside temps cause plastic to soften some giving similar response. Also the more you fish one bait, you will notice it loosens up after several casts. I have thrown the Shad in and over a tremendous variety of vegetation with good results so I think you will be pleased. Hope you get to come down here sometime soon and join the party.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

I wish I could.  This week is the first sustained warm weather we've been having, so in a couple of weeks or less the topwater might come alive... Can't wait to try out the shad now!  Might just play around with it now in my neighbor's pool... Thanks for the info Big-O!

I have had excellent luck with the Salad Spoon, and feel a loyalty to that little known lure, as dopey as that sounds

The Salad Spoon is a good bait and too have a dopey sounding loyalty to Lunker City baits.  If LC had the deep pockets for sponsership and advertising that SK has, you would see a lot more of them.  I'm not trying to knock SK, their baits are fine, I just think that Lunker City is under rated.

I like some of their baits too, and we all know that fish can prefer one bait over another on any given day. Good fishing

Big O

www.ragetail.com