Sign in to follow this  
MN Basser

Choosing a lure

Okay guys, I'm going fishing this weekend and I'd like your advice on what to throw. My conditions are: stained water, about 40degrees, it's been raining, not much vegitation growth due to cold water. I have two rods, baitcaster 6'6" MH, spinning 6'6" M. Questionable on the # of docks in yet.. I was thinkin jerkbaits, possible dock skip, and jig. Thanks!!

Sounds like you got it figured out already.  Fish very slowly since the water is still cold.  I've found the jerkbait to be a good choice in cold water, but again fish very slow.  Jerk it, then a long pause atleast five seconds, I've done 20 sec before its all about what the fish want.  I also had a lot of luck this winter with rat-l-traps.  You may want to try one with a lot of flash like chrome-blue back or black back.

Bass season doesn't open in Minnesota until next weekend way up north and not until the 24th for the rest of the state.  Whatever you throw, make sure you can convince the game warden your fishing for Crappies with it.  Good luck.

Glad to hear that.  Hope you do well, but the weather forecast doesn't look too favorable.