Sign in to follow this  
Dan:

Lee Sisson Balsa Cranks

Anybody have opinions on these cranks? I just picked up a whole bunch of them for between $1 and $3 in a clearance bin at Gander Mtn. I've never used them before but they look good...

From what I've found, you have to look pretty hard to find a Sisson bait with a straight bill.  I bought the same ones at Gander, and had to search a while for each color with a bill that was cut straight into the bait.  It took some time.  And it was not just this batch, I have found the same problem at BPS and Cabella's with Sisson baits.  

That said, once you find a good one, the baits are excellent.  He has one series of baits made out of a wood called Jelutong, or something like that, and they are more durable than Balsa, but just as bouyant.  When you get a properly billed one, you have a bait every bit as good as a Bagley.

yeah, it says these are made of the Jelutong wood. I just opened them up to see what you meant, and  yeah, most of them are at least a little tilted. How disappointing! I think I can still get a few to run pretty straight, but I'll have to test them out.  

If you have the time, I would get a refund, and spend a little while at Gander finding straight ones.  Once you do find straight ones, they're worth it.