Sign in to follow this  
booneangler

Carolina Rig Question???

I am trying to use a Carolina Rig a little bit more but am having a hard time trying to figure out the correct way to use this. Im not for sure if it should be worked the same way as a Texas Rig or not. My question is when you drag it do you stop and hold a tight line like you do a T Rig to detect the bite or do you leave it slack and watch the line for a tick or do they most of the time pick it up and go with the bait? How deep should i fish this rig?

Drag the bait, holding the rod down and move it horizontally, making sure to keep the weight in contact with the bottom. Stop it and reel in slack and repeat. A slow deliberate drag works best for me. You'll have very little slack in your line with this approach, but with the leader, you'll need to move a lot of line on the hookset, so you don't want a bunch of slack to remove too.

When you feed the fish on there, reel down quickly, and make a long sweeping hookset.

well i knew you sorta done a dragging type retreive but my question mainly was how was i to detect the bite by feel or by watching the line i wasnt for sure if they would be just a tick like on T Rig you just feel a Tick Tick or just weight.

There's usually one of two types of bites. You'll feel a tap on the line or you will have a fish just take it and start moving off (usually better fish).

If you feel the tap-tap kind, just reel down, lift up slightly on the tip, and if you feel any resistance, set it hard. Obvioulsy, if the fish takes off with the bait, just set it.

I fish it anywhere from 5 ft out to 25 ft. It's ideal for covering flats, points, and dragging down deep ledges. Great structure bait, b/c you can cover a lot of water but still use a fairly slow and natural looking finesse type bait.

Do a search on the site for "Carolina Rig" and you can read for hours. This will get you started.....

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1120348381

Have fun!

Ronnie

X2 and it's all great info

Big O

c-rig bite is by feel.you dont want any slack line or you'll miss alot of bites.as you sweep the rod horizontally you will feel every little bump on the bottom.if you detect a bite or even think you have a bite stop your motion and check your line. check means finger the line a feel for a bite..most times it is a very subtle bite that your not going to be sure so check the line reel up any slack and check again.if you even think its a bite use a long horizontal sweep while reelin untill you feel the fish hooked up.i always use two hooksets on a c- rig to make sure. you have to take up much more line on hookset than on a t-rig.

w/ the c-rig the object is to cover water or bottom untill you find fish then you can slow it down and work the area .i.e. point,drop,what ever your fish,but untill i find fish the bait is always in motion on a taunt line.

i feel most angler use the c-rig wrong and thats why they dont like it as much as a t-rig.its a bottom bumpin search biat untill you get bit . most fish it to slow and never cover enough water to make it effective.

i like the hook up on a c-rig way better than on a t- rig. a 2 lber feels like a monster in 10+ ft. of water on hook up.