Sign in to follow this  
Bass_Akwards

Pick One Lure

My friend joined a fishing club here in Colorado last year.  The club is brand new.  There's only 15 guys who fish this private lake, and they can bring guests.  The lake is about 50 acres.  He invited me tonight to go fishing with him for the first time, as we are kinda "new friends"

He told me today, that Colorado Division of Wildlife just tested and shocked the lake.  It has the best quality PH Count as well as other factors in Boulder County if not the state.  They shocked it this weekend and found at least two bass that they feel are state records, as well as a few croppy they feel go between 4-5 pounds.

I'll be fishing this lake 2 hours before sunset, and 2 hours after.

What is the first lure/bait you guys would throw when you get out there?  The lake has a channel that runs through it, and they burried many christmas trees and anchered them to the bottom for cover.  Water is slightly stained and 70 degrees.  Male Bass are just starting to make nests in some of the lakes I've fished in the past few days of the same size and within a couple miles of the lake ill fish tonight.

Thanks!

One of the best techniques for submerged pine trees is to tick and bounce square billed crankbaits off of them for reaction and aggresion strikes.  Find where the trees are then hit them with different casts to all angles.  When you fell it tick of off the branches, let it float up for a split second then try to vary your retrieves after that to see what works.  Also use your confidence soft plastics on beds, in shallow cover, and around the trees.  The crankbait technique is great for prespawn and post spawn because they will relate to them.  Good luck, let us know how you do.

Most of the time during spawn, I won't hit bedding fish intentionally though. I leave them alone and instead will push off the banks a little bit and catch pre/post spawners or fish that just won't move into the beds.

Jigs and craw trailer or tx rigged craw is hard to put down once you start throwin'em cause the fish whack'em pretty good.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

i taught one of my much younger fishing buddies how to fish a jig two years ago.

last year, he pulled a 13.3# from a local lake...even made the back of bassmasters a few months ago.

it was the first fish he caught on a curado/falcon combo i had just sold him.  >;)

guess you know what my answer is.