Sign in to follow this  
bassdocktor

Professional School Interview

Hey guys just wondering if anyone could offer some advice especially those of you who may have gone through either a graduate program or professional school. I've got 3 interviews with 3 different pharmacy schools in the next 3 weeks and am just looking for advice. I've been looking at the school pages and read people's experiences that interviewed at the schools including previous questions that were asked.

It'd be great if anyone could offer anything since this does have me a little nervous. These will be my first big interviews. Fortunately, the one that is probably my first choice is my last one. I'll get 2 to help me learn/practice.

bassdocktor

Prepare and have your answers rehearsed to the questions you expect. Remember the story answers do not have to be exact.

1. Why do you want to work at XYZ company?

2. What makes you a better person than the others interviewing?

3. What can you bring to this company?

4. Tell me what you know about our company?

5. Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a supervisor?

6. What is your biggest accomplishment from your last position?

7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

8. Tell me about yourself?

These are just a few of the stock questions asked at interviews, but you will be asked at least 5 of the 8 questions.

Good luck

Thanks. You're right because every interview review I've read seems to include most of those questions. Looks like they translate over to schools.

Do you know anything about each school's program?

Such as, Campbell University (Home of the Fighting Camels) has an extremely high graduation rate for their pharmacy school.

Smile and relax.

Dress nice, as you know how to do.

Recent haircut would be nice.

Relax and enjoy the interview.

And remember, YOU ARE INTERVIEWING THEM, TOO, so ask your questions.

My first wife wanted to get her Ed.D. in education at William and Mary but after meeting with the dean of the department, who she thought was a total horses behind, she went to the Medical College of Virginia and got her Ph.D. in nursing.

So the interview is a two-way street and you need to be ready to ask them some questions.

If you want, PM me and I can ask my friend who is a pharmacist and runs two hospital pharmacies, if there are some things you need to inquire about.

Good luck.

Here are a couple more.

I realize you are interviewing for admission but the principles are the same. They want the right people and you have to convince them you are who they are looking for and that you will be successful not only in their school but in the working world. That is really all they want.

Politeness and a professional conduct are required.

1. Do not sit without first being invited. Stand by the chair and expect

a hand gesture or verbal invitation. If you do not get one, ask - "may I sit down?"

2. Body Language is everything!

a. Smile

b. Do not cross your legs

c. Do not cross your arms

d. Do not talk with your hands

e. Hands lightly clasped on your lap is best

f. Look them in the eye (don't stare)when either are speaking

g. Casually nod in agreement or understanding on occasion

h. Feet flat on the floor

i. NO leg twitching or jerking

ABOVE ALL ELSE ASK FOR THE POSITION--TELL THEM YOU ARE THE BEST PERSON JOR THE POSITION. YOU WILL WORK HARD AND YOU WILL MAKE THEM HAPPY THEY ADMITTED YOU IF THEY WILL GIVE YOU A CHANCE!

Not asking for the position is the #1 reason people DO NOT get hired!

I know this is alot to remember and it may seem somewhat silly but I have never been denied a position or admission when doing this.

Good Luck

Hey guys as I'm preparing for next week I was looking at this stuff again and just wanted to say thanks. I think on Wednesday I'll be ready for the first of the three.

bassdocktor