Sign in to follow this  
AM

columnia tent reviews ?

I have owned a high quality kelty backpacking tent for the last 6 or 7 years and it is still in tip top shape. couldn't ask for more out of a tent. Now that my kids are getting old enough I want to take them camping and my kelty is only a 2 or 3 person tent. Looking for a family tent that will hold up, is built structurally strong and is absolutely weather proof . preferably with a vestibule or enough room to keep my dog in part of it. I also do not want to pay 500. I was looking at a columbia conrad ridge or high trail.

http://www.columbia.com/Product/7/Equipment/76030/8-to-10-People/5832/Conrad-Ridge.aspx

I can not find any info on either as I guess they are new. I like how the conrad has a rain fly that covers the whole tent so no sides are really exposed to elements ( although they are rolled up in the pic ) anyone familiar with these or ever had a columbia tent at all. what were / are your thoughts on them?

thanks - andy

From the sounds of it, you like good gear and quality items.  Columbia puts out nice things that will last.  I have never tried out that particular product, but I do like other products put out by columbia.

That being said, I also have to say that I never tried a group (5+) person tent that worked well, expecially with kids.  The reason is the large person tents were always noisy.  Kids like to play, ESPECIALLY in tents.  And that is fine because that is what they are supposd to do! :)

The problems happen when they start banging arround inside the tent when its time to sleep.  They roll arround and bang into the wall and shakes the entire tent (along with everyone else inside). Now it is nice to have everyone on the same tent so you can keep an eye on everyone inside and it gives you piece of mind for sure.  But these are just some things to think about.

I was camping with some cousins one time and their parents screamed at them the whole night to go to sleep and stop shaking the tent.  I can tell you that it was hard for the kids to enjoy nighttime because they kept getting yelled at.

When it comes time for my kids to grow up and camp with me,  I think im going to have one tent for myself and the wife.  And another tent for the kids to goof arround and play during the night.  The only thing is to make sure they dont wander out in the middle of the night.

Vic

Have you looked at www.campmor.com.

I've been using them since I hiked half the Appalachian Trail 14 years ago. They always have the best prices. Be sure to check out the Sales.

Here's that exact tent for 199.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39354670&memberId=12500226&catalogId=40000000226

I just got the cougar flats tent.

I'm not sure how to post the link to the thread but I just posted pics on bassresource maybe two weeks ago under the title "new tent".

Huge tent with the two room split that you want. I have an 80lb dog also. It has enough room for him.

Set-up was 45 minutes by myself the first time I put it up, under half that with two people once you get the layout.

I know it wasn't one of your two options but, they changed the color options this year so you may be able to pick up last years cougar flats for half of retail. It's a great tent from what I've seen of it.

Wow thanks for the replies. I have considered getting a smaller tent and using 2 and just riging up the vestibules kind of together facing eachother so i have like a little shanty town one for kids and one for us. that may still be an option. Hey WIII-60, have you been through any weather in the cougar flats tent yet ? just curious if the outcome was good. hopefully it was. thanks again - Andy

no weather yet. I read a TON of reviews on the tent. I shopped it for a year before I bought it......

It has a basin or tub style floor. Are you familiar with what that is? If not I can explain. I'm positive that ground water won't be a problem with it. Rain isn't an issue from what I've read, but I have no personal experience to go off.