Sign in to follow this  
preach4bass

Car Paint Help

I just bought a 99' Toyota Tacoma last week for a great deal. The truck runs good (with over 200k on it), but the hood and tailgate have a little rust, and the rest of the body has several imperfections/scratches/dents.

If I don't do anything to it, will the rusty spots spread? If so, how long will this take to ruin the hood and tailgate?

If I get it painted, how much will it cost? Should I go with Maaco or what?

Suggestions :-/

Yes the rust will spread.

I do not know how long you can go without it rusting, It really depends on what the tailgate is made of i.e. aluminum or steel. (aluminum does not rust, but oxidizes.)

A cheap but ugly way to fix it is to sand the rust down with a palm sander, spray it with oxide primer, then regular primer, then paint.

Just my $.02 do not quote me on the fix part, but I think it should work.

-searoach

Personally I've had bad luck with Maaco. I'd take it to Earl Scheib's and get one of the better paint jobs they offer before I'd take it to Maaco. BUT that's just MY opinion.

Last i checked it cost atleast a grand to paint a entire car.That is if you decide to have it done professionally.

otherwise you can do what searoach suggested.My brothers do it that way...however it's not the best looking job.

If the rust is just on the tailgate and hood.You can remove them,sand blast the rusty spots and repair as needed,if the rust goes all the way through you should really weld some metal in there.

You can probably find a hood and gate for that in the bone yard,and have them sprayed to match.

I guess it depends how much time and $$ you want to put into it.