Sign in to follow this  
Pegleg

Spooked in the Dark

I used to work on a 2400 acre horse farm/ cattle ranch. I ran the cattle part of the operation. One of my pastures had two swamps that I used to gig frogs in. My Daughter decided that she wanted to learn how to get frogs so one moonless night we drove to the gate of the pasture. I decided not to drive in because it had rained earlier that day and I figured we would get stuck. We gathered the lights,frog bag and gigs and started walkin across the field. My daughter said something about not bein able to see. At least I thought thats what she said. Actualy she said she had to pee. I told her to keep close and she'd be ok and I kept walkin. I heard footsteps behind me so I figured it was her. She had stopped to pee. Are you wonderin what is walkin behind me? Well I got to the edge of the swamp and I stopped. I turned to my right and said Lisa be real quiet so the frogs don't spook. She answered but it sounded like she was a long ways off. I turned to my left and something blew on my face. I almost crapped my drawers. My old cow horse that lived in that pasture had been followin me across to the swamp. I was about to slap the horse to shoo it away and my daughter came walkin up with the frog gig. It was so dark she didn't see the horse. Yep she stuck the gig to the horses butt and the sumbitch ran over me. I'm layin there tryin to catch my breath cause the horse stepped on my leg and my chest as he ran over me. We didn't do any froggin that night and we used the light walkin back to the truck.

Pegleg

Pegleg,

Hope you healed up, but that is funny.  Reminds me of my dad, one time.  We were elk hunting 14 miles in the back country in a horse camp.  Ranger had rode by and said there was a big Grizzly in the area.  That night the horses go bezerk about 2 in the morning.  My dad jumped up and ran out to the horses in nothing but his long johns and a knife.  Next thing you here is him hollering and cussing and some small animal squealing and growling.  Seems a skunk had wondered into camp.. and my dad just about stepped on it.  He had to sleep with the horses for a few days to say the least, and you knew where he was at if he was upwind of ya.   ;D ;D ;D

Yep I was ok. Been workin with horses and cattle since I was a kid so thats something you get used to. I can sypathize with your Dad. I've been sprayed twice by polecats and its no fun. :P

Pegleg

I can't help but to laugh at this story.Glad you're OK though!