Sign in to follow this  
FatBoy

shaky head???

I've heard a lot about the shaky head rig here lately, but I haven't quite figured out exactly what this is all about.  Can some of you guys gives a quick run down on...

How to rig it?

Where/when to use it?

How to work it?

A shaky head is a plastic bait, typically a worm, rigged Texas style on a jig head.  You fish it how ever you want but many people leave it in one spot and shake it like you would a drop shot.  You get a different action than a regular Texas rig due to the use of the jighead.  They have heads that are specifically designed for it but you don't need them.  Give it a shot, it works pretty well, but it isn't some great new technique like the drop shot was a few years back.  It's just a worm on a jighead.

I like to use floating worms with the shaky head jig, so that the head stays on the bottom, but the tail floats up to immitate a baitfish trying to feed on something on the bottom.  I know some people who use the shaky head every time they go out.  I like to use it when I am fishing highly pressured waters, or when the bite is really tough and a slower, smaller presentation is working.  Anywhere you would consider using a finesse presentation is ideal for a shaky head worm in my opinion.

as stated above shaky head is the counterpart to drop shotting.d.s. is off the bottom shaky head is on bottom.both were designed for finess fishing in pressured waters or for a tough bite.idealy,both are lite line,small bait techniques,but can be used in any sitiation.it is becoming widely accepted that at times of neutral or negative fish moods,bass want a stationary bait,w/ little or no movement.fished as intended ,both are shook at intervals w/o moving the bait from its location on a tite line.you would have to experiment but for me i want a worm that doesnt move at all.i.e. zoom finess or trick worm and only shook only once in a min. time.this seems like eternity but is what gets inactive bass to pick it up...not movement.

Guest the_muddy_man

I posted this once before It is my understanding that shaky head is what a guy does after making a #1

I tried out the shaky head for the first time yesterday afternoon.  After trying cranks and rat-l-traps in this small pond with no bites, I rigged up a zoom trick worm (big texan color; sort of brown with gold and red flakes) on a stand up jig head (forgot the brand).  The worm was texas-rigged (sort of) and I was surprised to see how well the tail stood straight up when the jig was resting on the bottom.  I just threw it out there, let it hit bottom, and gave a little shake every now and then.  

I landed a 15 incher and 12 incher within about 30 min.  (No pics, unfortunately.  I know without pics it could be GAMEOVER for me  ;D.  But you'll just have to believe me on this one.)

On the first one, I felt a solid thump right after I had given a little shake, and set the hook hard.  

The second one was a little different.  I went to drag the worm a little bit and felt some resistance.  I think it was caught on some junk on the bottom.  So I gave it a good pop to get it free.  As it settled back down I felt weight on the line again so I set the hook.  I think he must have been watching the worm, and when I popped it off the bottom I got a reaction strike.  

I was really happy to see that both fish were hooked solid right in the roof of the mouth.  Ya gotta love that!  

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the shaky head.  Fishing has been really slow at this pond lately.  Sticking two decent fish in 30 min was doing pretty good IMO.  

I LOVE using a shaky head. This works really well when the bass are tight-lipped. Good job on the fish! Next time, WE WANT PICS!  ;D