Sign in to follow this  
BassChump

Future move from Oregon

I'm widowed, father to a 15 year old daughter and I also take care of my 81 year old mother. I live in a small town on the Oregon coast. I bought an old Bayliner Trophy bass boat last year but I had never caught a bass in my life. I learned a lot about bass fishing this year from this forum and I had a very successful year thanks to all you people right here.

There are 25 lakes within 10 miles of town, all have bass and 17 of them are accessable by boat. Great bass fishing around here but the weather SUCKS. I grew up in southern California and I just can't get used to all the rain. It's very depressing. We AVERAGE 119 inches of rain per year. Most of which falls or maybe I should say POURS between November to May. Being so close to the ocean the summer temps are usually no warmer than the low 70's and that is usually for only a week or two and the wind typically howls year 'round. There is all kinds of fishing around here but I'm thinking of moving in the next 3 years.

My daughter is doing so well in school that I have decided to stay in this area until she graduates and my mother wants to stay here so she can be with her friends. Can't blame her for that.

I figure in a few years when my daughter is off to college, I can move on to greener pastures.

My question is where I might like to move. I have no idea where to go. I'd like some warmer weather but not blazing hot. I was considering northern California, northern Nevada around the Reno/Sparks area but I have 3 or 4 years to figure it out. I could move anywhere actually. I'd like someplace warmer that has a few good bass lakes nearby, someplace I could fish at least close to year 'round.

I have 3 years to figure it out so I thought I'd start here.  Any suggestions???

Question's to ponder for the next few years.

-What field of work are you in, and how easily can you find work in the given area you plan to move too.

-Housing, what you can afford for the general area you plan to relocate too.

-What type of Fishing, Primarily Large Mouth? Small Mouth and Large Mouth?

Good thing is you got sometime to do your research.

In other words you are looking for paradise. Not too hot , not too cold and be able to fish 365 days a year. Sounds good to me. Good luck.

In other words you are looking for paradise. Not too hot , not too cold and be able to fish 365 days a year. Sounds good to me. Good luck.

If you find a place like that, see if there is an Army post nearby!

You might want to consider NW Arkansas.  It has a GREAT economy compared with the rest of the area right now, and it's close to several lakes. (Norfork, Bull Shoals, Table Rock, Beaver)

It can get hot and humid in the summer, and a little chilly in the winter.

Actually, it sounds more like what heaven is supposed to be like.

2 states I can think of.  Virginia is one of our more beautiful states and has a more stable climate year round though it can get hot there.  Tennessee would also be worth a look,  lots of bass fishing opportunities there.  Anything North of the Mason Dixon line has no bass fishing from Dec - Feb due to the cold and hard water.  Go to far south and the summers can be steam baths.  

Another choice would be Springfield, Missouri.  Home of BPS headquarters and there are several hundred thousand surface acres of prime Largemouth, smallmouth and KY bass fishing waters less than 100 miles from the city along with Striped bass, Musky, Walleye fishing and trout fishing in streams (if you're into that).  Quite a drive to the coast if you still want to Saltwater fish though.  

Well yes, I guess I am looking for my own "paradise". I realize no place is perfect. My point was just that I was looking for a pleasant region that I might start researching since I have several years. I would much rather live in someplace that gets warmer in the summer than a place that has 6 months of snow. I do enjoy warm weather and 90+ degrees is fine with me.

I also know that I won't be able to fish 24-7-365. Where I am now, it's pouring, driving rain virtually 9+ months of the year.

I had thought about the Reno/Sparks area of northern Nevada or the Clear Lake California area. The weather is good around 9 or 10 months out of the year but other than Clear lake, I don't know about any waters around those areas. I can deal with heat and sun much better than I can deal with cold, driving rain 9 months a year.

I haven't traveled much in my life. Just the 10 western states so I'm not familiar at all with anything east of Arizona. Right now I'm open to anything as I have time to consider someplace to lay some roots. I'm just doing some exploritory research for the future.

To answer what Hawk said,

I can do several things. I've been a contractor for years and I've been in the RV business for the last few years as well. Unfortunately both of those are not doing so well right now but I'm hoping the next few years that things will turn around again.

It's a long story but I'm finally getting my life back together so I'll probably be looking for a home in the 250K range, give or take a little. My needs and wants are few so I don't need a huge income to be comfortable. I'll have some great things happening in these next couple of years so by the time I am in a position to relocate, I will be doing great. Things are looking really good for the future and I'm really happy about that.

As far as the fishing is concerned??? I just like fishing in any form. I prefer bass fishing since I have the boat but just time on the water with a tight line now and then. If I could find someplace with better weather, a good area, some close fishing, I'd be pretty happy. I'm just tired of all the rain. I've even thought about someplace around Lake Mead. Perhaps Henderson Nevada. I can take the heat much better than I can take the cold and pouring rain.

Anyway, I'm not picky, I just want some better weather, a bigger city with a decent economy than what I'm in (800 people) and some fishing. I don't think that's too much to ask, is it????