Sign in to follow this  
farmpond1

Anyone else read Patrick F. McManus besides me?

Though it seemed he became hard pressed for new material over time, Patrick F. McManus was (and still is) one of my favorite outdoor writers.  I believe I can thank him for my rather wierd sense of humor.  Anyone else like reading him?

My wife says I am twisted and blames McManus to some degree also. I have 3-4 of his books which I haven't read for some time your post causes me to think maybe its time to break them out again.... ::)

My wife says I am twisted and blames McManus to some degree also. I have 3-4 of his books which I haven't read for some time your post causes me to think maybe its time to break them out again.... ::)

I love reading about Rancid Crabtree, Retch Sweeney and Pat's old dog Stranger (later shortened to "Strange").  His sister "the troll", cracks me up, too.  It's difficult to separate the author from his fiction and I like to imagine things were really like that.  Regardless, it's classic stuff!

How about THE Night Bear Ate Gumball, I thought they were going to call 911 to me I couldn't stop laughing. I love his books.

Biggest reason for getting OutdoorLife.  When you read his anticdotes, you feel you're there wittnessing the whole episode unfold.  Only problem is once your done with the back page and have to go to page 68 or whatever, you spend 5 minutes trying to find it. ;D

Lots of funny reading throught the years.

Biggest reason for getting OutdoorLife. When you read his anticdotes, you feel you're there wittnessing the whole episode unfold. Only problem is once your done with the back page and have to go to page 68 or whatever, you spend 5 minutes trying to find it. ;D

Lots of funny reading throught the years.

I've thought about subscribing to Outdoor Life. Is it a good magazine?  I've got F&S.

My grandfather has several of his books that were given as gifts over the years.  I've picked up a couple while visiting and find him very humorous.  Perhaps I will have to pick up a couple more over the holidays when visiting. ;D

How about THE Night Bear Ate Gumball, I thought they were going to call 911 to me I couldn't stop laughing. I love his books.

That was my favorite too, but it was Goombaw not Gumball. I actually met Pat McManus several years ago in Colorado. We didn't talk long, but he seemed friendly enough.

Hook'em, I get it more for the hunting articles, but through the summer alot of their articles on fishing tactics are pretty good.  Just my opinion, but for me the articles seem to be more straight forward, and less muddled with nonessentials than some mags.  But then there's McManus!  Like farmpond said, sometimes it's like he's stretched for ideas, but generally he at least leaves you shaking your head. ;D