Sign in to follow this  
preach4bass

DTV Problems

I get my TV reception from rabbit ears.  I enjoy getting my three snowy channels for free.  But, with the change to Digital TV, I had to get one of those boxes they've been advertising lately.  I hooked it up today, and ran my regular old rabbit ears through it, but can't get two othe the three channels I used to.  I've read online that I might need to get a rooftop antenna, perhaps even one with an amp, to get my other two channels (and possibly more).  The only problem was, I found this information on a government site, and they're too unbias to tell me EXACTLY what to buy, where to buy it, and how much it costs.  Could any of you help me out?

Thanks,

Preach4bass

We have ours hooked to the huge rooftop antenna. We get the same channels plus extra ones. Did you play around with the ears? I think some of the digital signals come from different directions, so sometimes its hard to get all at once.

That is the inherent problem with digital. A blessing and a curse if you will. The signal is either on or off, there is no in-between. You've either got it or you don't.

Makes for a great picture if you can get a solid signal.  Otherwise you're SOL.

Hey Preach,

Are the 3 snowy channels VHF signals? Many local VHF stations are currently broadcasting their digital signal on UHF frequencies. If your antenna is VHF only, that may be part of your problem. A VHF/UHF combo antenna might be an easy fix.

Don't hesitate to call your local TV station with questions. If you tell them where you live they might be able to tell you if you will fall within their digital range.

Good luck!

Dan