Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Strange Twists and Turns of Life

Reflecting on something I was told many years ago got me thinking about the children of family and friends.

I was told "to sit back and watch to see what happens to my family and friends children as they grow up."

A number of strange things have happened to the kids I know and I was wondering if you had the same thing happen in your life:

Girl is one of the top academic students in her high school class; quits college; extremely sexually active; and is now on heroin.

Boy is very handsome and is excellent student having many dates in high school and a steady girl friend in college and he now tells his parents he is gay.

Boy is good athlete and and popular in high school and college but is actually afraid of girls and refuses to date.

Boy is 23 years old; avid hunter; does things his own way; says he is independent; but lives at home with his parents. His mom does his laundry and pays his bills, etc.

Girl is very good high school student; drops out of college; gets married; and is now big time into Amway.

Boy attends Catholic high school; graduates from prestige college; and is now a masseur and working as a part-time waiter.

Girl is very prim and proper in high school and Ivy League college but has two long time shack ups with two different guys after college graduation and is not interested in getting married.

Get the picture? These kids are doing things never expected of them.

Just wondering if you have encountered any situations that parallel these which were never seen in the kids' future?  :D

Yup, I've seen a case that I never could have imagined.

Identical twin brothers in this case.

One graduates high school, goes to college, does a four year hitch in the military.  Gets home, marries a gal who has two children already, never had a child of his own, but has to date adopted five more.  Has worked the same job for years.

Other brother?  Graduates from high school, drops out of college, marries a gal and has three kids.  Leaves the wife and kids and has had no contact with them for almost 15 years, even though they live within 20 miles of each other.  Hasn't held a job longer than a year or so since high school.

So what part is identical?  You got me!

I too have seen this a lot. It always seems to follow a particular pattern and from what I can tell the parents end up with most of the blame. I can't count the number of times I have seen kids who have been handed things their entire lives turn out how they were not supposed to. Graduate high school....honors, athletes, prima donna types.....go to college. Either graduate doing the same thing they did in high school or drop out and begin to slide from there. Get into the real world where nobody hands them anything now and they suddenly don't know how to achieve. Too many parents have raised children too be dependent on them for everything, without teaching them to think, act, or do things for themselves. Too bad. My wife gets on my . all the time about being tough on he kids and holding them accountable for when they mess up or commit to doing things. Hopefully they turn out to be productive adults.

Case specific.

The most popular girl I went to high school with. Dad was the Assistant Principal and she was the star basketball player who was supposed to go on to play at college. She was an ok student and definitely a prima donna. Graduated and left for college. Daddy was no longer there to hold her hand and she dropped out after 1 semester. Bounced from odd job to odd job and then got caught shoplifting. Tried to overdose on pills cause she was ashamed. Went to therapy and found a 9-5 waiting tables. 5 years later her dad died of massive heart attack and she has yet o be right since. She was voted most likely to succeed in high school.

The girl that graduated top of my class. Went off to college and got into the party scene. Dropped out and moved to NY for an acting career and music career. Found her way into some celebrity circles. Got hooked on drugs and now has 4 kids....all different dads, never been married and lives off her gov't check she gets every month.

The fourth kid in my graduating class. Mom and dad didn't have a pot to pee in and he was not popular at all. Kid's hated this kid. Was as bright as they come. Graduated high school....barely because of fighting. Had more scholarship money by himself than he rest of his entire class of 87 kids. Left for college in another state and flourished. Graduated in 4 years with a double bachelors degree in Chemistry and Biology. Went on to Dental school and graduated in 4 years. Has since opened his own practice, done well and has a wife and 4 kids. Was voted most likely to end up in prison. (that would be me).

Yes, it's very strange how life plays out sometime. It's a shame when someone that had it all going on when they were young, turns to drugs or crime, and their life goes straight into the toilet. Lost my best friend this way.

Girl is very good high school student; drops out of college; gets married; and is now big time into Amway.

I'd say that's one lucky girl ^

Try these out,

Girl oldest of 8 kids in a very close and loving family marries a jerk and now hates her family and claims her mother is insane.

Boy gets free ride to a private school, meets girl at school, looses free ride and now works as a day laborer

People change and not always for the better