Sign in to follow this  
pa mountain man

Its alright...

I don't post much, but I thought this was worth sharing.

I was at work on Christmas eve/day, and as I'm making my rounds about 2:30 a.m., I see a truck doing donuts in the boat launch parking lot, which is common in the winter. I hit him with the spotlight which usually sends them on their way, but not this kid. I absolutly hate it when people aproach me at that hour after I've caught them doing something wrong. He pulls up beside me(maybe 18 y.o.), and in a serious voice, said "Its alright, I'm a volunteer fire fighter", I was stunned for a few seconds, I told him that when the lake catches fire, I'll give him a call, but for now, he needs to leave.

After he left, I laughed until tears streamed down my face, that was the best no nonsense excuse I've ever gotten.

I would say just by your response and the way you handled it, that your pretty good at what you do.  In our service area fire/ems volunteers are allowed to use lights and sirens when responding and we have had a couple of real humdingers through the years.  Generally the volunteers are responsible enough but local law enforcement has had to hose a couple of 'em.  The kid's excuse is definitely one of the richest; are you sure you waited until he left before you started to laugh?   ;D

That said, years ago as a senior, I was doing the same thing in a large parking lot and about my fifth or sixth time around I noticed a set of headlights on me, oops.  As I sat there he just pulled up beside me, give me the "are you stupid" look and asked if I was done yet.  After the butt chewing he said I needed to go home; I did.

I have the upmost respect for emergency services, but that kid thought he was the commander in chief  ;D. I could write a book on the weird stuff that happens in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

For example:

One January morning(3:00 a.m.) I'm making my rounds, and as I enter the parking lot, I see a large group of teenage girls clapping and screaming. Farther out in the parking lot, I see two teenage boys racing in nothing but their underware. I pull along side of them and ask if we were sponsoring the "undie 500" this year, and they told me they were trying to impress the young ladies, in which I replied that running naked in January won't impress too many ladies if you get my drift.

I have the upmost respect for emergency services, but that kid thought he was the commander in chief ;D. I could write a book on the weird stuff that happens in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

For example:

One January morning(3:00 a.m.) I'm making my rounds, and as I enter the parking lot, I see a large group of teenage girls clapping and screaming. Farther out in the parking lot, I see two teenage boys racing in nothing but their underware. I pull along side of them and ask if we were sponsoring the "undie 500" this year, and they told me they were trying to impress the young ladies, in which I replied that running naked in January won't impress too many ladies if you get my drift.

Somehow or another that seems like it should be in a Jeff Foxworthy skit ;D!

Seem like a very cool officer. Wish we had more like you around here. I think we have to have strict ones around here though with all the college kids roaming.

I actually got let off the hook for doing donuts a few weeks ago late at night.