Sign in to follow this  
Root beer

"I don't know Jack, but I know Shine"

I went to the Ole Smoky Distillery today and I sampled 4 different types of Moonshine: White Lightin', Corn Whiskey, Apple Pie, and Cherry. The cherry was just cherry soaked in shine. I didn't care for it, but the Corn Whiskey and Apple Pie blew my mind! I bought jar of White Lightin' and they gave me the recipe for Apple Pie Shine. I bought finest Apple Cider you can get from nearby Sevierville at the Applebarn. Only thing about this recipe, it a lot of apple compare to a jar of moonshine.

The end result was still tasty, but it's not that strong, might need add another jar of shine to it. I'm guessing I'll get tired of drinking the Apple Cider/juice before I even feel the shine.  :-/ Next time I'm pick up the Corn Whiskey, it's smooth enough for drinking straight up. It would be  a sin to mix that!

Here their website if anyone interested:http://www.olesmokymoonshine.com/

I have heard the same thing about the apple pie. Not very strong, but it tastes amazing.

Is straight moonshine the same as grain alcohol? If so it is not worth it.

I have heard the same thing about the apple pie. Not very strong, but it tastes amazing.

Is straight moonshine the same as grain alcohol? If so it is not worth it.

White Lightin' Yes, but Corn Whiskey, no. They added 80% corn and 20% something else and the end result is tastier than pure alcohol. It's pretty good.

I'm feeling pretty relax after couple glass of apple pie, but not that buzz. The White Lightin' is 100proof.

You two youngsters need to go on the road trip.

Just offshore from the resort in the sunken remains of Old Birmingham.  One if its former industry was a saanother sitell that made barrel staves from the white oaks that grew in the area.  I'll bet there are still a few old timers around there that could tell you all about how to build yourself a barrel, and probably how to char the inside of it. 

Now pour those squeezings into that barrel and leave it for 10 years or so, and now you're talking smooooooth sipping whiskey!   :D

Of course you could just cheat and stop by Lynchburg on the way home to buy a used one.

haha. One of the guys I ride bikes with and go trout fishing with, he works as a Surveyor and he said back in the 90s he was climbing a mountain for work, and he told me he saw a moonshine still and just kept walking in other direction. He wasn't sure if there was any booby trap in area and he wasn't going risk it. lol.

I wish I could come to the roadtrip, I would stop by liquor store pick up a couple jars for those of you that never had fine Tennessee moonshine. It legal here. :)