Sign in to follow this  
deep

Paypal, for dummies

I have a paypal account that I use to buy stuff from Ebay. I haven't got it set with my bank account with it though; it's set up with my debit card.

How do I:

#1. send money? What info do I need from the person I'm sending the money to?

#2. receive money? What info do I need to supply to the guy who's sending me the money? Also, once I get the money, could I transfer that to my debit card?

1) Their email address

2) Your email address

I don't think you can transfer the money to your debit card unless it's a Paypal debit card, or you have your PP account tied to your bank account.

I'm going to give you a bit of free advice, take it for what it's worth...

Don't leave your debit card on your PP account as a primary card. If your account gets hacked, and they buy a bunch of crap, it comes directly out of your account. If you don't find out right away, you're screwed and might start bouncing checks. 

Don't leave your debit card on your PP account as a primary card. If your account gets hacked, and they buy a bunch of crap, it comes directly out of your account. If you don't find out right away, you're screwed and might start bouncing checks.

Hmm, so what should I do? Link my bank account? Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to paypal (at least).

Lol, I'm probably not the best person to ask. When Ebay took over Paypal, there were major security issues and bunches of people had their accounts hacked. Mine was one of them. If it wasn't for CapitolOne, I would'nt have known for days.

They (the crooks) accessed my account, changed my contact info, and sent themselves $1258 (the contents of my Paypal account and the rest on my credit card). I never got an email or anything. CapitolOne flagged the transaction and held the money in limbo because it didn't match my "spending profile". As soon as they realized what was going on, they credited my account but I had to jump through hoops to get the other $400 back from Paypal. If I'd had a debit card on there instead of a credit card, that money would've come straight out of my bank account and I wouldn't have known about it for days. The bank sure as hell wouldn't have called me. By then, it would've been too late to reverse the charges.

You can do what you want, but I will NEVER link my bank account to my PP account. Never, never, never. If it becomes a requirement, I'll close my account.

I leave a deactivated debit card as my primary and a credit card as a secondary to keep the account open. If I want to buy something through PP, I'll add my debit card, pay for the item, and then remove the card from the account. It takes maybe 5 minutes to do this, but it makes me feel a whole lot better.

Got it. I'll do that right away. Thanks.

EDIT: Done. Removed the card. I can always add it if and when I need to pay. Isn't that so?

Yup. That's what I've been doing for the past several years.