Sign in to follow this  
KS_Bassin

5 trout 1 albino...any recipe ideas?

Went trout fishing at a local pond they stock through the winter caught all my fish on a firetiger roostertail and in an hour. Seen several albinos swimming around and caught one which was exciting!! Wondering if anyone has trout recipe's i was just going to grill em and stuff them with vege's and spices.

post-3427-130162968788_thumb.jpg

Grill 'em, but try this: when you grill, completely cover the top side in pepper. Then, when you flip it to grill the other side batter the new top side in lemon and butter as it grills. When the fish is done, Batter the pepper side in lemon, and enjoy!

P.S. This recipe sounds VERY spicy, but the cooked pepper encrusted on to the fish will not be so spicy once cooked and saturated with the lemon, butter and meaty juices.

Nice job catching the trout! Have you tried deep frying them? Very good.

That "albino trout" you have is a golden trout, not the western species, but an eastern species, found by accident at a West Virginia Hatchery. I copied some information from our DNR site.

Family: Salmonidae

Common Family: The Trout Family

Common Name: Golden Rainbow Trout

Scientific Name: Oncorhynchus mykiss, color variant

Identification:

Golden rainbow trout are a deep gold or yellow in body color, with pinkish lower fins, pink or red-tones on their cheeks and a reddish lateral stripe. There is no spotting on the body.

Range and Habitat:

The West Virginia Centennial golden trout was developed in West Virginia as a color mutation of rainbow trout in 1963. Several other states in the eastern portion of North America have developed a golden rainbow trout in a similar manner. This should not to be confused with the true golden trout, Oncorhynchus aguabonita, which is found only in California. Golden rainbow trout can be found in most of the larger waters of the state that receive trout stockings.

Fishing Facts:

Most anglers find the golden rainbow trout difficult to catch. Golden rainbow trout are very calm fish, many times ignoring attempts to entice them to bite. The bright golden color makes their presence more obvious, drawing more angler attention. When one considers that fewer golden rainbow trout are stocked, representing about 5 % of the total amount, then one can see that the angling of a golden rainbow trout can be a unique experience.

Here is a picture.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/fishing/sport_fish_images/golden_trout.jpg

that sounds more reasonable to me. i've never heard of (or seen) a albino trout before..... and i live in washington, the slimer capital of the world!!!

grill or smoke

when grilling, i put them on aluminum foil. and rub in seasonings like allspice, pepper, butter, a little season salt, and whatever sounds good. Be creative you will surprise yourself.

Now that sounds like a good recipe to me.  ;)

Butterflying the trout is another option to consider as well.