Sign in to follow this  
wagn

Biggest Pickeral i've caught

Now normally i consider Pickeral to be a junk fish, but when you catch one this big in my area it's something pretty cool. This fish was just a hair under 27 inches. I didn't have a scale to measure it unfortunately.  I caught it right in my parents back yard, the live right on the river.

Here's a pic of me, and my dad's arm holding it up

9-2-07pickeral1.jpg

Here is a picture of the fish next to my Son. That's my brother holding him and my dad again

9-2-07pickeral2.jpg

Very nice pickerel. I'd rather catch bass, but I don't consider pickerel junk fish because I believe they fight better than largemouth. With my biggest, I'm just the opposite, I know the weight but not the length.

Thanks guys. Honestly I have no idea what the girth was. The state record was only 26" but weighed 8 pounds. I really wish I had had a scale to verify this one. I doubt that this one weighed nearly that much, but i really would like to have known.

I'm pretty good at estimating bass weight, but pickeral are so long, that i can't really get my head around what it might weigh

Very nice Pickerel. I'm guessing 31/2 to 4 pounds. I too believe that SOME pickerel fight better than SOME bass. I catch them from Merrymeeting River all the time and they put up quite the fight. Nice job.

Big Fish!!

Very nice Chain Pickerel when they get to be that size or better they fight fairly well.