Sign in to follow this  
Clayton

Jugg Fishing

Hey guys I am heading out to Lake Lavon this thursday evening on the 27th and I was wondering if anyone had a tip for me.  Probably going to use some stink bait and cut bait and live bait.  I have alot of juggs to put out.  WHere should I throw these things?  I want to catch some catfish.  I was thinking in the standing timber and by the warm water outlet.  Any other suggestions?

I don't know much at all about this, the ony place I jugged fish at before one place was as good as the other.  My only advice is if there is any current then toss it near that, use the stinkiest stuff you can find, and if your really lost then put em out in different spot's so u can locate atleast a few.

I dont know about the lake you are fishing but...  If it is a large lake you may want to find a cove that is protected from wind(if the wind is blowing you could end up with all of the jugs on shore in the morning or you could end up with them spread out all over the lake)  I usually fish in about 15ft of water and use a 5ft leader on the jug.  Live perch about 3inches long or crawdads work if you are using stinkbait you might want to wrap it in cheesecloth to hold the bait on the hook.  I use good size circle hooks for more hookups.  Fishing in the treetops may cause you to loose a few jugs due to the large fish could pull down the jug and it could get hung aroung the submerged trees.  The cove idea works on large lakes but if your lake is small enough you can place them out in the middle either way be sure to paint the jugs with some kind of florescent marking paint so they will be easier to locate.  

Hey thanks guys that is just the kind of info I was looking for.  Didnt think about painting them, they are already white, but hunter orange is even better.